Best electric kettle? What do you have? Why do you love it?

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Totally appreciate all the input.

Interesting thread. I’ve had a Keurig machine for a couple of years, but I hardly ever use it: I make the occasional mug of hot chocolate or mint tea, and I think I’ve actually used it more often to make instant oatmeal. Every now and then I think about trying to sell it, because I’ll go months without using it. Maybe all I really need is an electric kettle?

For tea, I just heat up the mug full of water in the microwave. What would a kettle, either electric or stove-top, give me that I’m not getting now? Hot water is hot water, innit?

(I use loose tea in a spring-closing tea-strainer thingie.)

(Also Nutrasweet… Sigh…)

A Presto.

Lots of people happy with it, & a good price. Also, short & squat, so it won’t tip over, if brushed against.

Maybe, but tea (black tea, anyway) should be brewed with water that’s at a full rolling boil, and I think to achieve such boil it’s just easier and safer (see here) to use a kettle than a mug of water in the microwave…and compared to stovetop kettles electrics are very fast, mine will boil enough for a single mug of tea in less than 90 seconds.

That’s the one my mother bought; I think it’s awful. It’s a PITA to fill from a faucet, it doesn’t shut off automatically (unless most of the water has boiled off), and you can’t tell how much water it has without looking into it.

That’s a good list. I’d also add “short enough to fit under a fridge/cooler water dispenser.” The combination of the height and shape of mine makes it impossible to fill from anything but the faucet.

Just thought I’d let y’all know that you inspired me: I ordered an eletric kettle (the cordless Hamilton Beach model that Deeg and zombywoof mentioned, in stainless steel) and used it for the first time yesterday.

Anyone want a pre-owned Keurig machine? :smiley: