Best homemade fudge ever! (just in time for V day)

I have been making this fudge since I was in the 6 th grade, which is a long time ago. It is delicious and fairly easy to make, as long as you don’t burn the butter/sugar/marshmallow/evap. milk mixture (oh yum, doesn’t that sound good already?) Before you start, put a small glass of water in the freezer, you will use it later.

2 cups sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
18 large marshmallows
1/4 cup margarine or butter

Combine and cook on low heat until marshmallows are cooked. Take cold water out of freezer, drop a small bit of candy mixture in, if it rolls up into a soft ball it is cooked enough (usually 5 minutes).

Add: 1 tsp. vanilla
semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use about 3/4 of a 12 oz. bag, you can use
less if you like)
nuts (optional, I don’t use them so have no idea how much to add)

Stir vigorously until chocolate is dispersed thoroughly. Pour into greased 8x8 pan and refrigerate. Before it hardens, slice through with knife (I usually cut down the middle, then make 2 cuts on each side of the middle). Keep in refrigerator until ready to give as gift or just eat and enjoy.

I had none of the ingredients in the house (yeah, I don’t keep sugar or salt in my house, little miss healthy here), and I even had to buy aluminum 8x8 pans to make this receipe. I got all the ingredients at Vons for $16.96, and I suppose I could have just gone to See’s and bought a pound of fudge for that price. But it was fun to create a masterpiece, and Mr. Beckwall will appreciate the effort.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all who celebrate!

(this recipe is so old that it actually calls for “oleomargarine”. If you get this reference, then you have celebrated many birthdays as have I)

This sounds like fun. I think I have to try it with my kids this weekend. I wonder if you could use peanut butter chips instead of the chocolate chips - I really love peanut butter fudge.

Cooking/recipe threads belong in Cafe Society.

I’ll move this for you.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB