Best Music Videos

What do people here think are the best recent music videos?

I ask because, in all honesty, I haven’t noticed many remarkable videos on The Box recently (my only music channel). Daft Punk ‘Digital Love’ and Gorillaz ‘19-2000’ have been the only remarkable ones all year IIRC.

But away on holiday in Spain last week I saw 3 great vids, the best of which was animated for a really average song by Phila called ‘Multicolor Dawn’. The others were Hank and ‘El Cancion Del 6’ and El Canto Del Loco’s ‘Vivir Asi Es Morir De Amor’ which is a great punky rock song as well. Anyone else seen these?

Fatboy Slim - “weapon of choice”
Eve and Gwen Stephani - don’t remember the name though
Blink 182 - “The Rock Show”

I’m going to second Fatboy Slim’s Weapon of Choice.

Tool has some cool ones - Sober and Schism.

I like Crystal Method’s Name of the Game.

It’s not incredibly recent, but “The World is Not Enough” by Garbage is amazing. I’ve paid for full-length movies that weren’t as good.

Tony Basil’s “Hey Mickey!”

I always liked Nada Surf’s video for “Popular.” It seemed like such a satire of high school dating politics.

I love the video for the Beck song “New Pollution.” It’s so interesting!

My number one vote goes to Ah-hah’s Take on me.

Uhh…Almost any Dave Matthews Band video is spectacular…

I’ll think of more later, certainly.

Einsturzende Neubauten-Sabrina
Nine Inch Nails- Happiness in Slavery, Perfect Drug,Closer,and Wish
Tool-Sober
Rammstein-Sonne, Du Richt So Gut
Juno Reactor-God is God
Depeche Mode-Enjoy the Silence, Behind the Wheel,It’s No Good, Blashemous Rumors
New Order-True Faith

I’d have to say that Tool consistently turns out the very best videos. The very best.

Also good:
“Smooth Criminal” by Alien Ant Farm.
“Roll On” by The Living End.
“Movies” by Alien Ant Farm.
“Greed” by Godsmack.
“California” by Rufus Wainwright.
“Name of the Game” by Crystal Method.

Can’t think of any more right now…

Dave Matthews=Satan.

Not long ago I told Anthracite about the amazing stretch of film that is Smack My Bitch Up by Prodigy. Really. Honest. Go watch it. It’ll blow you away.

Many of the vids mentioned are as far as I can see, US only. Junor Reactor and Nada Surf I’ve never even heard of. Tool aren’t anywhere near as big over here and I can’t see their videos.

Of those I’ve seen, Toni Basil I wouldn’t class as recent, although the cover by teen-pop act Lolly two years ago was. Was it the same vid?

Smack My Bitch Up is hard to see over here, as it’s too strong for most daytime shows. I’ve only seen it once on a late night ‘Top Ten X-Rated Music’ program

I also like Marilyn Manson videos (at least his older stuff like “Tourniquet”) because they positively scare the crap out of me. I can barely look. I love it.

I love videos.

The new Lady Marmalade video by all those cheap tramps. Eye candy.

Alien Ant Farm’s Smooth Criminal is just weird. It kind of grows on you, like athlete’s foot.

Offspring. Really, all their videos are pretty sweet.

Metallica. Until it sleeps. Weird imagery.

Blu Cantrell Hit Em Up Style, mostly cause I love the song.

No Doubt Just A Girl. Cool.

Aaliyah Are you that Somebody, from the Dr. Doolittle soundtrack. Love the dancing.

Spice Girls videos from their first album. Again, eye candy.

Madonna Ray of Light. Just love the song and the video fits well.

En Vogue Free Your Mind. Love the rock and funk mix.

Will Smith Wild Wild West. I love dance videos.

Robbie Williams Rock DJ where he takes his skin off. Weird, but strangely compelling. He’s cute with a smarmy “I’m the greatest thing since sliced bread” attitude that appeals to me.

I too love that Garbage video!

Rammstein: Sonne or DRSG '98
Duran Duran: Girls on Film After Dark version
Depeche Mode: Halo

Music vids that caught my attention -

Coldplay - Yellow. A stark difference from most videos these days. No special effects at all. Just some average bloke walking down the beach.

Ricky Martin - Private Emotion. I’m not a fan. I don’t even like the song. But watching the whole thing as it moves in reverse is quite mesmerising.

A-ha - Manhattan Skyline, Stay On the Roads Someone else mentioned Take On Me, but I prefer these two classics.

REM - Drive. My favourite bit is seeing Michael Stipe flopping up and down in slow motion amidst a crowd of hands.

U2 - One. The one with them in drag. Nice feather boas and mascara, lads.

Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim! Best video ever! Christopher Walken dancing around for 4 minutes is much better than I expected!

Let Forever Be by the Chemical Brothers.

Placebo videos:

Special K - Really cool sci-fi thing goin’ on in this vid.

Slave to the Wage - Same category as above video. Except for one word change (*itch to witch), it is pretty good.

Pure Morning - Love this song and the video just makes me want to watch it over and over. The first time I saw it, I had a very uneasy feeling.

Taste in Men - This one just makes me laugh. It really isn’t that funny, but the end of it cracks me up because it reminds me of someone. Plus, I can totally see Bri acting like that.

I’m sure I’ll find more…