best playstation games

So anyone want to sell me Final Fantasy Tactics?

My picks, in no particular order…

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete: One of the best plot lines I’ve ever seen. I really got involved with the characters. Fun and somewhat original battle system.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Pretty much everything everyone else said about this game.

Castlevania: SotN: Trying to just explore this game is fun enough! Throw in skeletons, zombies and vampires and you got yourself a great game!

Final Fantasy VII: Best plot line ever. Period. Great graphics, (except their arms…hehe) wonderful music…a class act all the way.

Chrono Cross: (Can you tell I’m a Square fan?) Superb plot, great graphics, stunning sound. Not much else to say.

YES! Thank God somebody finally mentioned “Lunar: Silver Star Story”. It’s a ‘regeneration’ of an older game that was released on Sega CD some years back, with a few extra bits added. I was one of the people who didn’t like Final Fantasy 8 because it became too much of a chore to play.

When I started playing Lunar afterwards–it was like re-discovering console RPGs. I thought “Whoah! An RPG that’s -fun- to play!”

Look for Lunar 2 (also a regeneration of the Sega CD sequel) to come out late this November. if Working Designs doesn’t delay it any longer.

Well, I have both PSX and PS2, and here are some games I highly recommend you get.

1.Metal Gear Solid - More like a movie than a game, excellent acting and gameplay. Only 20 bucks now I think.

2.Tony Hawk 2 - The best skateboarding game.

3.The Resident Evil Series - Great for horror survival games, very scary and such. 1 and 2 I think are 20 bucks.

4.Driver - Drive around a city and get chased by cops. Also 20 bucks.

5.Gran Turismo 2 - The best racing game ever created.

6.Tenchu 2 Birth of the Stealth Assassins - Be a ninja in feudal Japan and kill people. A lot like Metal Gear Solid

PS2 has TimeSplitters, a great party game. A First Person Shooter much like Goldeneye for N64 but a lot cooler.

All right, here we go with my personal favorites:

Final Fantasy Anthology: This has Final Fantasy V and VI on it, and while they’re old games (and look it) you won’t find a better bargain anywhere. Definitely worth a look if you haven’t played them before.

Grandia: This is my favorite RPG ever. Great storyline that gives the player a real sense of adventure, something that a lot of RPGs lack. The combat system is the best in any RPG I’ve ever played. The only bad spot is some lousy voice acting, but it can be overlooked. Seriously, if you’re into RPGs at all, BUY IT.

NHL 2000: I don’t know if NHL 2001 is out yet, so you might want to get that instead. Either way you go, the NHL series is probably the pinnacle of EA Sports’s line of games, and nobody does hockey better than them. Decent commentary, hard hits, basically just an incredibly fun game all around. Even non-hockey fans would probably enjoy it, since it’s relatively easy to get into.

Jedi Power Battles is ridiculously fun. Throw out the murderous ‘jumping jedi’ puzzles and it’d be perfect.

Im selling Lunar The Silver Star on ebay & it closes today. So far its $51.00 …more than a psx2 game :slight_smile:

Eh? I’m surprised no one mentioned Guilty Gears as the best fighting game Playstation bound. As for Street Fighter Alpha 3, get a hold of the Dreamcast version: No loading times, better animation, and a boatload more options than the PSX version (especially Survival Dramatic Battle mode and Dramatic Vs).

Mr. Armageddon, as for Grandia, the crappy voiceover (and crappy lifeless translation) is courtesy of Sony Entertainment Corp. The Japanese version is lots better (if you can actually read japanese, that is…)

P.S.: I don’t know if Grandia has been released on the japanese Playstation, since this GameArts title was formerly released on the japanese Saturn, but was never released on the U.S. Saturn(oh, the horror…)

Yeah, Guilty Gears was the best 2D PSX fighting game at the time. SF Alpha 3 finally overcame some the PSX’s limitations on large sprites and became my favorite. But, yeah, Guilty Gears 2 is supposed to be great.

And, yes, NHL 2001 should be out for PS2 as well. And, yep, willing to sell Final Fantasy Tactics. Gee, I’m just Mr. Affirmative today aren’t I?

Yeah, & for how much KK?
You know, BlockBuster stores are now renting the pSX2. My store said $200 deposit & a whopping $20.00 per day for the machine…

Don’t think of keeping the machine, either. I hear if you do they add a whole bunch of stuff so it’ll cost more like $1000 & a police report.

But they have plenty of games.

Thanks for all the responses. Now I have a good shopping list for when I hit the video store and used game shelves. Wahoo!

Mr. Batty hit this one on the head… Tony Hawk (1and2) is (are) great.
Grand theft auto is a blast too. Kill people then run away. Weeeeeee!!

Any sports game is great…Joihn Madden 2001 is wonderful.

Rainbow Six…kill terrorists and save the day…good sniping…flashbangs and lots of great weapons.

I’d like to add my vote for medievil. This is one of the best games I have ever played. Great music, wonderful sense of humor through the whole game, and a plot that keeps you playing for hours on end. The game itself is not too difficult, but the amount of enjoyment is unparalleled in any recent games I’ve played – its a must buy!

I am a big fan of console RPG games. I have played many on the PSX. Here are some of my notes.

**Final Fantasy Tactics - ** A great game upon which I have spent many hours. Great story, intriguing system, and excellent replay value. The only downside is occasional tedium.

**Vagrant Story - ** By the same Squaresoft design team that did FFT. A hybrid action/RPG game. Occasionally referred to as Medieval gear solid. Excellent pacing and wonderful replay value.

**Crono cross - ** Not as good as Crono Trigger for the SNES was. Still a fun game. If you like adventure games, you’ll like this one. Replay value isn’t as good as it could be.

**Final Fantasy VII - ** An excellent game that is a must own for any RPG fan. Not as good as some of the earlier games in the series but still great fun.

**Final Fantasy VIII - ** Ick. This was a real stinker in my opinion. Admittedly, I hold the Final Fantasy franchise to a very high standard, but this really didn’t work for me. I recommend that you rent this one to try it out first.

And those are my recommendations on RPGs. I also like Castlevania Symphony of the night, and most of the other games posted on this thread.

Let me know if you want more.

Final Fantasy Tactics - This is one of the best games ever created. The replay value is limitless.

Final Fantasy VI and VII - These two are the quintessence of the FF series. You can get VI on the Anthology disk. FFVIII was a real piece of shit.

Gran Turismo 2 - Best racing game out there right now, period.

Chrono Cross - True, it wasn’t as good as the original Chrono Trigger…but those are some BIG shoes to fill. A great game in its own right.

Castlevania - Symphonies of the Night - This is easily the best side-scrolling game made for the Playstation.

Marvel vs. Capcom - The best and most faithful arcade-to-console 2d fighting game. I love this genre.

Tekken 3 - Another GREAT fighting game. The best of the 3d-fighters and the best of all the Tekken games insofar.

Tenchu 2 - A game so cool I’d still play it if it sucked. YOU GET TO BE A NINJA! Totally rocks.

Limitless? Sure you have tons of character classes to explore, but only one storyline. (There is only one ending, right?)

Oh, and Handy, I’m still trying to figure out where my copy is. I’ll let you know when I find it.

Exactly. TONS of character classes. You can play through the game again and again, challenging yourself more and more. “Hmm, this time I’ll play the game with 5 chemists in every battle!” There are soooooo many combinations it’s…scary.

:slight_smile: