Best Restaurant That Advertises Extensively

Red Robins has been mentioned several times upthread and I can see the pint. At the end of the day though, it’s a darn fine burger that’s still overpriced. IMHO, when they feel a need to add perceived value with all-you-can-eat fries then they probably don’t have a lot going for them.

For what it is, I really like Long John Silvers. It’s cheap, greasy synthefish, and I’m OK with that. Eat it fresh from the fryer (age does not improve them), hit it hard with the hot sauce and enjoy.

I was going to say Pf Chang’s, but then I wonder if others have noted if they advertise extensively, if at all. I don’t think I’ve seen them do so.

I like The Keg (a mostly Canadian steakhouse chain) and it advertises extensively.

Popeye’s :smiley:

Red Robin is good, too. But Popeye’s slams, is inexpensive, and their spicy chicken sandwich damned near caused Twitter to melt down summer before last.

Definitely Red Robin (YUMMMMMMMMM!). Unlike the rest of the crackheads weighing in, I think 5 Guys blows. We have one in the next town over and I can think of a dozen other burger joints within 2 miles of the place that blow it into the weeds.

The weird thing about RR is that it is the one place I pull a Sally. Everything except the cheese on the side, extra cups of BBQ sauce and mayo for my fries. Beats playing “Confuse the Cook” with the minimum-wage guy in the back.

5 Guys is easily the most overrated burger joint I’ve ever been to, both the original DC locations and the more recent expansion locations. Plus, the last time I went (though it’s been a while now since it was so disappointing) they went from giving you a bajillion fries to carefully rationing them so a small fry was, indeed, a small order of fries. The one redeeming feature you got ordering there no longer applied. I guess they still have peanuts.

Five Guys is fine. It’s a delicious burger. There are better independent places, though.

I’d feel hard done by waiting in line at Shake Shack for more than 15 minutes. Great shakes. Good fries. Burger perfectly adequate.

Slight hijack, but this comes down to something I’ve said for years:

There are burgers and there are sliders*. **

Burgers are thick, cooked to order (i.e., rare, med rare, etc), often a “better” quality of meat, may include other things besides meat in the patty. Red Robin has a burger, as do most local burger joints - such as the oddly named Bird’s Aphrodisiac Oyster Shack here in Tallahassee which makes a burger that is a contender for best I’ve ever eaten. Certainly best in town. Damn fine oysters too.

Sliders are thin, often pressed or smashed on the grill, always cooked through, and should be no leaner than 80/20 beef (and beef-only aside from maybe a spice or two). 5 Guys does sliders.

They are both delicious and the food pantheon is big enough for both of them, but comparing them is a little silly. They’re different things.

* I’m using the old definition, not that new-fangled thing where a slider is just a tiny burger.
** There are other things made of (shudder) not beef. These are patties or sandwiches. Not burgers or sliders. There is no such thing as a turkey burger, there are turkey patty sandwiches. :wink:

It’s not that I don’t like the above definition. Just that no one is now going to say McD’s does not sell burgers, or White Castle sliders. Sold too many for too long. A slider is small - you can cover a White Castle one with a square of 9 or so postage stamps.

I disagree. Over half of the burgers I make at home are made from ground turkey. I also love turkey “ham” salad, which to my palate is indistinguishable from its ham sibling, and turkey bacon which I prefer over pig bacon.

burg·er
/ˈbərɡər/
noun
noun: burger ; plural noun: burgers

1. a dish consisting of a round patty of ground beef, or sometimes another savory ingredient, that is fried or grilled and typically served in a split bun or roll with various condiments and toppings.

Oh, if we are brining in Fast Food (and Fast Casual), I’ll add Popeye’s and 5 Guys mentioned above. And add Chipotle (their Barbacoa is super tasty, what?).

@Dr_Paprika @kayaker

Yeah, I’m fully aware that I’ve lost the common-usage wars on sliders and non-beef burgers. The main point though is that, call them what you will: big, fat, juicy burgers and thin, smashed/pressed burgers are related but not the same and should be judged by what they’re trying to be, not what they’re NOT trying to be.

Either definition, 5 Guys still blows. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I agree that 5 Guys is between “Another boring burger” and man “Man, that was nuthin!”. I’ve eaten it in two different states a couple years apart and had the same reaction each time.

I just checked out their website and they’ve spread nationwide. Clearly they’re doing something right. I don’t get the hype. Then again, that’s why they’re rich & I’m not.

I agree with you on Popeye’s. Bojangles is my personal fav for fried chicken and biscuits, but Popeye’s has more national coverage, I believe.

My palate is not very refined, but it seems to me that a good burger is easier to accomplish than good fried chicken. People who aren’t that skilled in the kitchen can pull off an adequate burger as long as they have the right fixings. But mediocre fried chicken can be found all across the land. The same with biscuits. I’d rather go hungry than eat a bad biscuit.

I’m also baffled by the popularity of Five Guys; their burgers are greasy and undistinguished. The eye-gouging decor doesn’t help. Why do they have excerpts from reviews in huge letters on the walls? I’m already IN your goddamn restaurant; I don’t need to see a review.

Or by running over its dog.

1. Did you make up that turn of phrase?

2. Did you make it up specifically for this post?

Either way, my compliments.

1. As far as I know, yes.
  2. No, I’ve used it for years, mostly at Red Robin.
  3. Thank you.

I don’t know about 5 Guys elsewhere, but the one here is incredibly loud. Radio up high and there are no soft surfaces to deaden any sound. It’s al tile and glass.