Best songs not sung by the lead singer

Inspired by the “why don’t bands have multiple lead singers?” thread, I decided to start a thread of great songs sung by someone besides the band’s lead singer. (Let’s ignore bands with mutiple lead singers like the Beatles or Fleetwood Mac.) I’ll start off with two songs by female drummers:
“After Hours” by the Velvet Underground sung by Mo Tucker
“In the Cold Cold Night” by the White Stripes sung by Meg White.

Happy sung by Keith Richards.

Can’t You See”, sung by Toy Caldwell of the Marshall Tucker Band.

'39 by Queen.

“Drive”-Ben Orr

Good one.

I don’t know whether to count Carl Wilson as “not a lead singer,” though he certainly wasn’t in the Beach Boys’ early days. But if he does count, “God Only Knows” and “Good Vibrations” have to be on the list.

Debris by the Faces, sung by the late great Ronnie Lane.

“Veronique”–Pink Martini

“I’m A Man You Don’t Meet Every Day” by The Pogues, sung by their bassist (from 1983 to 1986) Cait O’Riordan.

“Nadka” by Test Dept., “sung” by Catherine Jauniaux (I like the song but she’s not singing the way Cait is singing, it’s more Wobbly Wailing Woman-type singing).

“Beth” by KISS (sung by Peter Chris, the group’s drummer)
“Takin’ Care Of Business” by Bachman-Turner Overdrive (sung by Randy Bachman, the song became a part of their live set “to give Fred Turner a chance to rest his voice”)
REM’s version of “I Am Superman” (sung by bassist Mike Mills)
“I’m One” and “Eminence Front” by The Who (both sung by Pete Townshend)
“Chatterbox” by The New York Dolls (sung by Johnny Thunder, guitarist)
“Guns Of Brixton” by The Clash (sung by bassist Paul Simonon)
“Gigantic” by The Pixies (sung by Kim Deal, bassist)
“Have A Cigar” by Pink Floyd (sung by Roy Harper, guest vocalist)
“I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends” by The Beatles (sung by Billy Shears, guest vocalist)
“Brick House” by The Commodores (sung by drummer Walter Orange)

My list goes up to 11, which means it’s time to mention that “Cups & Cakes” by Spinal Tap was sung by Nigel Tufnel, not David St. Hubbins.

I’ll up it to a dozen by mentioning “Hot Rats” by Frank Zappa, which featured lead vocals by Captain Beefheart.

I’ll up to an eeeeeeeeevil Baker’s Dozen with “Crossroads” by Cream (sung by Eric Clapton, guitarist).

And I’ll end with Step Down by Motörhead (sung by guitarist Fast Eddie Clark).

I forgot this incredible, to-die-for song.

“Paris Match” by The Style Council, sung by Tracey Thorn (better known from the band Everything But The Girl)

Please, people.

The answer is “Don’t Fear the Reaper”.

“Coffee and TV” by Blur was sung by guitarist Graham Coxon

Good one!

“Talk Tonight,” Oasis (Noel Gallagher, guitarist)
“Near Wild Heaven,” R.E.M. (Mike Mills, bassist)
“Making Plans for Nigel,” XTC (Colin Moulding, bassist)

Actually, Moulding sings on tons of XTC songs. He’s definitely the secondary writer after Andy Partridge but his stuff is always quality.

“Dreams Never End,” New Order (Peter Hook, bassist)
“Kosciusko,” Midnight Oil (Rob Hirst, drummer)

Cotton Fields by the Beach Boys where Al Jardine was the singer.

I prefer “Before They Make me Run.”

I’ll add “Eres” by Cafe Tacuba, sung by the keyboardist.

“Help Me, Rhonda” by the Beach Boys (a rare track sung by Al Jardine)

Didn’t Mike MIlls sing lead on REM’s “Texarkana”?

Great song, but Ben Orr sang lead on about HALF of the Cars’ songs. He was as much lead singer as Ric Ocasek.

In fact, I remember that, when asked how they decided who sang each song, Ocasek said, “When a song needs GOOD vocals, Ben sings it. I sing the rest of them.”

Ann Wilson sings almost all of Heart’s songs, but one of their biggest hits, “These Dreams,” Was sung by her sister Nancy.

Who’s being wooshed here, you or me? (Good example, regardless.)