Best way to get a Stan Lee autograph on something?

Alluded to in another thread, but I thought I’d open up for opinions.

As a joke/challenge at a recent comic book convention, I bought a copy of the graphic novel compilation of a CSI story, “Dying in the Gutters,” which uses RL comic book industry figures. I decided to challenge myself to get every person who appears in it to sign it.

Many of those therein are frequently invited to make major con appearances, so they are easy. The toughest by far are Rich Johnston (who, as an industry watcher, is less “significant,” and thus harder to confirm and pin down) and Stan Lee himself. I suppose I could “skip” Stan in this challenge, since he only appears on three panels in a throwaway joke, but I’m a completist.

My main problems:

1. He’s a fairly big name, and thus must be selective in his appearances, not to mention the fact that said name attracts a huge volume of mail and requests.
  2. He’s the oldest of anyone in the graphic novel, so my time is much more limited if I want his signature.
  3. Because I’m using a graphic novel with other signatures, it’d be much MUCH harder to replace should something happen to it (if I were to use a method that requires me to hand it over to someone else for more than a few minutes).

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this without breaking the bank and reducing the risk of something going totally FUBAR? Or should I expect to have to “skip” him? I’d love to be able not to, but I know the chances are good that I might have to.

There are at this moment 12 Stan Lee-autographed items on eBay, ranging from $4-60. From the looks of them, they were obtained at conventions. Aside from movie openings for Marvel movies, conventions are the only public events where it can be determined ahead of time whether The Man will be in attendance. Working the convention circuit, signing autographs and plugging his latest projects are essentially what the guy does for a living at this point.

And to put things in perspective, there are maybe half a million people in the country who could identify Stan Lee from a photo, or slightly over a third of one percent of the population. He’s not in that much demand.

Go to Comic-Con next year. He’ll be there, signing stuff.

In a sense, that just makes the job harder! But point taken. How might it affect the mail option?

I said “without breaking the bank.” :slight_smile:

(Although I suppose I could find someone I know who IS going to an event with him in it and ask them to do it for me… Hmm, that might be my best bet…)

Keep the suggestions coming!

Have you considered contacting him, explaining your goal, and asking if you can mail it to him?

Yes, but the other thread I mentioned, people thought that it would be one step too much, and that if I did it by mail, it’d be better for me to just send the graphic novel in the initial contact. That’s why I was pondering if there was a less risky way.

Send him a cheque for $50? He’ll have to sign the back, and then you get it back from your bank with your cancelled cheques.

Or does he have “people” for that sort of thing…?

FML

Offer him a bit part in your movie.

He can be contacted at Pow Entertainment.

Sayyyyyy…

Kewl, good to know an address. Though that brings me right back to the question I asked in post #6.

More options/opinions! Mooooorrrreeeeeee!!!

Write and explain what you want. Ask if you could send the graphic novel before doing so. Whatever the chances that he will say yes, and I have no idea what they might be, all you’ve invested is a stamp.

I’m met him twice, once at a planned event and once accidentally at a shop. He was astonishingly cool about the crowd that formed the second time. He’d stopped in to meet with the owner of a chain of stores and things just sort of accelerated.

I’ve never seen a report that he was anything but cool about his celebrity.

I got a British celebrity’s autograph (Ade Edmondson) on a cricket bat by contacting his agent and arranging with her to have me send the bat to her…she gave it to him, he signed it and she shipped it back. Cost me about $200 but it’s now priceless.

I think you should contact his agent. If Lee is cool as everyone says I bet he’d take you up on it.