Best ways to use up a pint of heavy whipping cream

Half and half seems to have no added sugar, but about 1g of sugar per two tablespoons (30mL). At least the varieties we buy.

We also have usually lactose-free whole milk in the house, and I will use that for coffee at times. It’s got 12g of sugar (none added) per cup (~240mL) – so about 1.5x as much sugar per unit of volume as our half and half.

The heavy whipping cream has no sugar at all.

As it happens, all the links above are to the brands we typically have on hand. I will sometimes buy the lactose-free whole milk from WalMart and the half-and-half from WinnDixie – but the nutrional info is the same.

Bolding mine. I think you misspelled “quart” there Good Sir.

Liquid whipping cream on berries is so luscious it really doesn’t need sugar.

Here’s a recipe from the NYT (gift article), where they add the eggs to a pan of simmering cream. I haven’t tried it, but it sounds heavenly.
The Scrambled Egg Technique That Impressed …

Looks awesome, but our oven is on the fritz. I wonder if that could be somehow finished in a crock pot or even on the stove.

Whip the cream first, or just pour it on from the carton? I’ve got something of a glut of blueberries in the freezer … this could help with those, too.

Of interest in your link – “leftoverable” scrambled eggs:

Over the course of testing, I ended up with quarts and quarts of [cream-cooked - b] scrambled eggs in the fridge, even after my dog Jamón had extracted his daily treat ration. Luckily, it turns out that cream-scrambled eggs are extremely versatile as leftovers — far more so than regular scrambled eggs, which tend to dry out on reheating. Simply microwaved as is or gently heated on the stovetop with an extra little splash of milk, they are almost as good as they are freshly cooked.

I added them to the wok when making batches of fried rice and pad Thai. I spread the eggs with a sprinkle of cheese on flour tortillas, which I rolled up and toasted in a skillet for excellent breakfast burritos.

Never whip the cream. Just put whatever you consider an individual serving of blueberries into something like a ramekin or cereal bowl. Better deeper & narrower than wider and flatter. Pour the liquid cream over the berries. Not so much they’re all swimming in it, but enough so they’re all nice and wet and the bottommost layer(s) are submerged.

Blueberries, blackberries, & raspberries separately or together are great this way. If you want to include strawberries, remove the tops & quarter them first. Diced peaches are great this way too when in season.

Just wanted to say that Jamón is one helluvan excellent name for a dog.

I give it a good shake before pouring it out of the carton, but whipping it works too.

When I have a little bit of cream left my usual way of using it up is to put it in my coffee. But an entire pint is a bit much to just use in coffee.

Or get some Kahlúa and have a wonderful cocktail every nite.

Here’s an old favorite family recipe that will use up 3/4 cup of your cream:

2 TB butter
2 TB olive oil
16 oz skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cubed
1/4 c chopped scallions
2 tsp minced garlic
3/4 c heavy cream
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 14 to 16 oz can whole tomatoes, drained and rough chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1/4 c fresh basil, chopped, or 1/2 tsp dried
8 oz dried fettuccine or 1 lb fresh
1/2 c freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese

Put salted water on to boil the pasta.

Heat butter and oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add chicken, scallions, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken begins to brown.

Stir in cream, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Heat to a simmer and continue simmer until sauce is slightly thickened and chicken is cooked through. Stir in basil and peas.

Drain al dente pasta thoroughly. Add to skillet with chicken and sauce. Toss well. Add Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.

Very yum. Will serve 4 comfortably. :slight_smile:

I make a different version with dry-smoked salmon. It calls for a bit of nutmeg, which really perks up the sauce.

Aspenglow and xizor – thanks for those tantalizing recipes :spaghetti:

In my experience, heavy cream will keep fresh in the freezer just fine and will be usable in cooking, but it will not be as smooth as in its pre-frozen incarnation and it won’t whip up properly the way non-frozen cream will. So feel free to freeze it (whew, say that ten times fast), but don’t expect it to be quite as versatile when thawed. Still fine for cream sauces and such, though.

I get through a pint of coffee cream a week. You can too. Trust me. :wink:

freeze

If you’re Herb Alpert…

Heh. :wink: