Best ways to use up a pint of heavy whipping cream

I was going to say, the theme of this thread is a recurring one here, and my recommendation never varies.

Do note, though, that semifreddo uses raw egg, if that’s a problem for anyone.

Make a big pot of clam chowder, and use several glugs of cream as the dairy ingredient. When I make mine, the liquid is usually a lot of clam juice with a glug or two of cream or half and half. Using a lot of cream will make it extra tasty and luxurious, though your cardiologist might disapprove.

Ditto for making any cream of vegetable soup. Cream of broccoli would be particularly nice using a lot more cream than usual.

I’ve made a roasted tomato and fennel cream soup that is amazing.

I was going to say I would just pour it in a glass and drink it. But that wouldn’t happen. I would drink it directly from the carton.

Dinner tonight. Thank you!

I hope you enjoy it as much as my family always did! :slight_smile:

I have a half pint leftover from the Swedish Meatballs I had made last week. I’m using it tonight for butter ckicken.

I ran across this recipe in Gourmet magazine in the 70s. It’s easy and amazeballs

Yum. My mother told me stories of fresh berries and cream for breakfast when she stayed with her grandparents. She thought it was the best food in the world. As a result of her stories, I started enjoying cream without whipping it, too. Oh my. Pour a bit in oatmeal. Pour some over your fruit pie or pumpkin pie. Add it to eggs as you scramble them. Make creamed eggs. Make an alfredo sauce. Make a light cream sauce to serve over scallops. Let it clot, and treat it like butter on biscuits.

I’m never lost for what to do with cream. Enjoy!

Is all that worth it for something that costs $4 new?

I mean, heavy whipping cream isn’t some kind of rare and ethereal substance made from virgin’s tears and unicorn horn or anything.

I usually keep a pint on hand. I use it quite often, and (since it’s usually ultra-pasteurized) it’s good for a couple of months.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that as dairy products go, it’s just shy of butter in terms of its longevity.

According to the USDA 1 cup of heavy whipping cream has about 6.95 grams of lactose and .438 grams per tablespoon. The FDA allows products with less than .5 gram sugar per serving to be labeled as “0”. Since the serving size on your carton of heavy cream is 1 tablespoon, it can be labeled as “0”. A tablespoon of half and half has about .6 gram per tablespoon and a serving is two tablespoons so it has to appear on the label. So the heavy cream has less sugar per serving but not no sugar.

You do not want to eat thawed frozen raw blueberries. The skins become chewy, the centers watery, and overall not pleasant. You want your frozen blueberries to get cooked (pancakes, muffins) or maybe eat them still frozen. But frozen blueberries with cream will not be the heavenly experience of fresh picked blueberries with cream.

Eh, I don’t like wasting food. And it really isn’t “all that” work to put a container of whipping cream in the freezer and then take it out of the freezer.

Learning the difference in some of its characteristics between thawed frozen heavy cream and fresh heavy cream did take a bit of experientia docet, but now that I’ve acquired that knowledge I can pass it on to all of you for absolutely free! :smiley:

Thanks for the extra ideas, everyone!

@doreen , you’re right. I forgot that on food labels, “0” doesn’t always mean “completely absent”.

I use thawed (to fridge temperature) blueberries all the time. I put them in oatmeal often. I guess the hot oatmeal cooks the blueberries enough – I’ve always been satisfied with outcome.

I also like them mixed into yogurt, so that’s a cold item.

Made this over the holidays after learning how t make it from Micheal Allemeier, delicious and simple! I made mine with Meyer lemons.

Chicken Tikka Masala would also make good use of that cream if you still have it.

I don’t marinate the chicken but grill it coated in yogurt, madras curry powder and chile powder and add 3/4 cup cream to the sauce near the end.

This one for sure is going into the recipe file. We would typically do something similar to this with jarred sauce, so it’ll be a nice change of pace to do it from scratch.

I didn’t see if anyone has mentioned this, but a Brandy Alexander or Grasshopper cocktail is the BEST way to use up heavy whipping cream.