Best Zelda Game

What would you say the best Zelda game was? I’ve always loved the series from the very first game and have some personal favorites but I am not sure if I have a single favorite. Link to the past was my favorite pre-3D Zelda, and possibly Majora’s Mask or Skyward Sword as my favorite 3D graphics Zelda title.

I reported this to the mods to have it moved to the right forum.

Best Zelda game?

Twilight Princess was my favorite. I’d rank them like this, including only ones I’ve actually played, of course.

1. Twilight Princess
  2. Wind Waker
  3. Link to the Past
  4. Ocarina of Time
  5. Oracle of Seasons/Ages - I played them back to back as one super game.
  6. Minish Cap
  7. Link’s Awakening
  8. Majora’s Mask
  9. Skyward Sword
  10. Spirit Tracks
  11. Phantom Hourglass

I was not a fan of the DS games, obviously. I also thought Skyward Sword was surprisingly crappy. I was stunned that I didn’t like Skyward Sword, more.

The only Zelda game I’ve played was Link to the Past, and it was an absolute blast.

Also, this thread should go in the Game forum. I’d alert a mod for a forum change, but not sure how.

Off to the Game Room

Link’s Awakening for Game Boy.

Well, here are a few awards I’m arbitrarily assigning to some of the games.

Most Charming

[spoiler]The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

This is probably the oldest Zelda game that people can still readily pick up and enjoy. The graphics are simple sprites, but high-quality ones that inhabit a world rich with color and detail. It’s just right to relax and enjoy, with a comfortable area to explore and fun mechanics to play with. This is where Zelda really came into its own, essentially a more polished and story-driven version of the first game.[/spoiler]
Biggest Advance

[spoiler]The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

It wasn’t my fave, but the sheer polish and technical advance of this game is astounding, and I can recommend even though I didn’t enjoy it quite as much. The game has a level of attention and care rarely put into games today. My only real gripe is that the dungeons felt a little tedious, with too much backtracking and puzzles that took much longer to solve than actually to figure out, resulting in going through the irritatingly long motions past the point of being interesting. I would also say that the movement mechanics in three-dimensions hadn’t quite been polished up at the time, and if I had played it with a modern controller rather than the abomination fo the N64 I might have enjoyed it much more.[/spoiler]
Best Overall

[spoiler]The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

This is one I haven’t even gotten to play, but I don’t think you even need to. Any Let’s Play of this game shows off the sheer depth of quality and character, as well as perfectly-polished mechanics. And almost alone of the Zelda games, it breaks the mold in terms of story. Link here is a character with quirks and a personality, not simply a black-faced player avatar.

Some people would legitimately prefer the first, but I think without nostalgia for either that this is the better version, despite a few changes that not everyone may like.[/spoiler]
That said, Ravio is the best Zelda character of all time.

No Original NES Zelda on there?

My Zelda-playing games ended in the 90s, with the exception of Wind Waker. It was the worst playing experience I’ve ever had in a game. I’m amazed that people continue to rank it so highly.

In no particular order, I love Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, and the original version. I’ve never played any of the post-Gamecube versions.

I know it’s sacrilege, but I haven’t played it. Or Zelda 2.

For me, Ocarina of Time barely edges out Skyward Sword. I know that some people rate Majora’s Mask above OoT and I understand the arguments, but I feel that MM, while a great game in its own right, was pretty much just OoT with a few mechanical fixes.

Twilight Princess is much further down the list for me. The game did a lot of things right, but its cardinal sin is that the game was just too easy. I very rarely felt like I was ever in danger of dying in that game. I compare that the Skyward Sword, where the freaking Moblins were kicking my ass at first. Then once I got the hang of them, they threw me against Ghirahim in that first boss fight, who disarmed me with ease, destroyed me over and over again, all the while mocking me for my terrible swordsmanship.

I don’t know about “best,” but I’ve played most of them, and LTTP is the only one I’ve played more than once.

Majora’s Mask (!!)
Link to the Past
Ocarina
Link’s Awakenening

I haven’t played enough to know which is the best. But my favorite it still my first: Link’s Awakening. I still find the shield system of the previous games to be backwards and nearly useless (and hate that they revived it for the Four Swords stuff). And the way the sword worked in the first game meant there was little room to attack without being hit (and forced you never to attack head on). Both were really tedious.

LA got that right, and had just the right mixture of telling you where to go and letting you explore. It also had the right difficulty level.

Still, I’ve only played the original, Link to the Past (barely), Link’s Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Minish Cap, and Phantom Hourglass, so I’m missing a lot of them.

MC is the first one where I didn’t hit a point where I got stuck. LA had one that I wish they’d have fixed in LADX: figuring out how to get into the fourth dungeon. Putting that jump on a screen transition just made it where I couldn’t tell it was there when I unlocked the dungeon. Fortunately, I did randomly figure it out–maybe with a tiny hint from reading online; I can’t remember.

With LoZ, I got stuck not being able to go beyond the second dungeon, and was afraid to explore due to aforementioned difficulty fighting. Due to dying taking you back to the start, I mostly just ran away from enemies. With LttP, I got stuck after saving Zelda the first time. I went straight North and couldn’t find anything. However, I didn’t really try.

And, with OoT, I got stuck with the riddle about the Dodongo scull seeing red. I got it stuck in my head that it must have to do with dawn or sunset, and dropping bombs never occurred to me. I mean, it had one of those time things right in the temple, which you saw as soon as you entered the main room. So I was sure time had to do with it. I got frustrated, tried a different game, and didn’t get back to it. (I only got back to LA due to the DX version.)

I didn’t get stuck in Phantom Hourglass, but I didn’t finish it, either. I tried to repair my DS case and fucked it up, losing all video, and never got back into the game.

Anyways, of those I’ve played, it goes

1. Link’s Awakening
  2. Minish Cap – might’ve been higher if it wasn’t so short
  3. Phantom Hourglass – I enjoyed what I did play
  4. Ocarina of Time – I enjoyed what I did play
  5. Link to the Past
  6. The Legend of Zelda

I suspect the only ones that would be lower than LoZ would be the CD-i games.

Here is a list of games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Legend_of_Zelda_media#Main_series

I didn’t play most. I mostly just played the NES & SNES versions. I tried Ocarina but never got into it, I’ve heard that was the best version. Tried wind waker too, didn’t get into it.

For me the best was the NES original version.

I honestly think you might not want to. The later iterations improve the mechanics so much that it’s not really great. If you do, you may want to have a guide with you.

Then again, if, unlike me, you master that little jab with the sword and remember the shield mechanic from LttP, you’d probably like it better. Still might want a guide as an adult with less time on your hands.

I’ve been replaying many of the games with my son within the last year. Surprisingly, Wind Waker actually went down in my estimation. Twilight Princess always fell like it was trying too hard (didn’t like WW? here’s an “adult” Link) and my opinion didn’t change. We recently bought Minish Cap and it was a lot of fun. I still prefer the 3D Zeldas but I really liked the game.

1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Skyward Sword (sky islands are boring but I love the depth of the land maps)
  3. Majora’s Mask
  4. Link to the Past
  5. Wind Waker
  6. Twilight Princess
  7. Minish Cap
  8. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
  9. Legend of Zelda
    placeholder. Link Between Worlds (we bought it last week, but my son is playing through first)

A below average Zelda game is still much above average for most series except…

dishonorable mention: Phantom Hourglass

Okami. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, that’s the best Zelda STYLE game, but considering that the category of “Zelda Style” games consists of, essentially, Zelda games and Okami…

I’ve only played 4 of the series, my thoughts:

1. Legend of Zelda (NES) - when I was a kid didn’t have my own copy so most of my impressions were from going to friends houses and watching them play when they were already far into the game and I remember feeling like I had missed too much to follow (they new the maps and dungeons by heart and I had no idea what was going on)

2. Zelda II (NES) - I know this one is kind of hated, but this one I did own and I loved the shit out of it. Very fond memories of playing this game as a kid. I’ll have to look up some youtube videos and see if it is as I remember.

3. Ocarina of Time (N64) - sometime in college I bought an N64 off of ebay and played this through this. I remember thinking that it was probably the greatest video game ever made at the time.

4. Majora’s Mask (N64) - never really grokked the mechanics to figure out what was going on with the masks. I’ve always felt like I never gave it a fair shake, and would love to go back and give it another shot as an adult sometime.

I agree that Zelda 2 was unfairly maligned and I loved it although it was hard as hell.