"better story than losing a couple of soldiers everyday"

Well, the Distinguished Representative from my home state is at it again. The same guy who welshed (my appologies to anyone from Wales) on term limits when his time was up has my vote as the most inflamatory comment that the “News filter” is only reprting the bad news. At a speech to the University of Washington, reported by the Seattle PI :

[Quote]
(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/143771_nethercutt14.html)
"The story of what we’ve done in the postwar period is remarkable," "It is a better and more important story than losing a couple of soldiers every day."
It’s times like this I wish I spoke a second language, because I don’t think English properly relates the amount of disgust, anger and bile this brings up in me.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by yanceylebeef *
**Well, the Distinguished Representative from my home state is at it again. The same guy who welshed (my appologies to anyone from Wales) on term limits when his time was up has my vote as the most inflamatory comment that the “News filter” is only reprting the bad news. At a speech to the University of Washington, reported by the Seattle PI :

He wasn’t downplaying the importance of the fact that two soldiers are dying everyday. I agree with him when he says the media only reports the bad news. When was the last time the media reported anything good? My last collection, never. There is a lot of good going on over there, but the media makes it sound really bad and that the situation is getting worse. It really isn’t getting worse, but better.

I think German would do.

I don’t speak German, though.

NETHERCUTT, FUCK YOU!

The only good news is bad news.

You got that right, there isn’t a lot of good going on over there, but the good that is happening is getting coverage. The new currency, the fact that some of the efforts at winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqis are working. The problem is, when Americans die, that is news.
We are losing on average two soldiers a day. For a war that the neocons dreamed up before the events of September 11th ever happened. The have pretty much been given a free pass by the mainstream press until recently and now these people have the audacity to complain about the coverage they are getting. Feh. I wouldn’t piss on them if they were on fire.

They might cover that stuff, but they’re like, eh, not a big deal. What about the fact that we are at a point over there that took us four years to do in Germany after WWII? IMO, the media is focusing on the bad and making us look bad to the rest of the world. I’ve seen posts on this forum that support this statement. The media should just report on ALL news over there, and not focus on the bad. IMO, this isn’t respecting their country or the administration. Sure, it’s their job to dig up dirt and keep the American (and whoever) informed, but I don’t think it’s their job to make the current administration look bad and make the U.S. sound even worse to the rest of the world. I’m not sure how bad they got during the Clinton years, but they seem, to me, that they are trying to make the administration look bad. I could be wrong though. People try to say the media is independent, but they sure don’t act like it IMO.

In the first place, we’re expected to do good things by way of rebuilding Iraq, since we’re the reason it has to be rebuilt – it’s not especially laudable. Second, the news organizations have people on the ground in Iraq who report what’s going on their as they see it; apparently, they see lots of violence and unrest.

Most importantly, the administration shouts the good news from the proverbial mountaintop every single day. The good news is getting there. It’s the bad news, which the administration never mentions, which needs to be told by the news media.

The International Crisis Group listed Iraq as deteriorating in August and unchanged in September.

(OTOH, Sierra Leone was improving in August and unchanged in September).

Iraq: Bombing of UN HQ in August. Calls for more power to be given to interim governing council.

Sept: US fails to gain support from foreign leaders for help with reconstruction costs. Member of Interim Governing Council shot on Sept 20.

As of Sept 9:

http://www.intl-crisis-group.org/projects/showreport.cfm?reportid=1120

Now don’t get me started on Afghanistan…
As of Sept 30?, 192 Coalition soldiers have died since the end of combat operations on May 1. I honor their sacrifice.

I am going there in less than a week so I will let ya guys know how it really is.

You know this. . . how? Because Donald Rumsfeld said so?

Computer Guru, you’ve been calm and fairly reasonable, so let me try to do the same by addressing these points one by one (btw, I happen to work as a reporter):

• What about the fact that we are at a point over there that took us four years to do in Germany after WWII?
      Well, what about that? This is a nice little factoid the Pentagon likes to bandy about, but what the hell does it mean? How many people know where Germany was in 1949? Probably not many, which I’ll bet is why they like to make this comparison. Not only that, but was the Iraq war, which last all of three months, comparable in scope and scale to WW II, which essentially levelled the entire German nation?
    • IMO, the media is focusing on the bad and making us look bad to the rest of the world.
      You need to start reading more foreign newspapers online. We don’t need our media to make us look bad. The invasion made us look bad, not the media. Paris’ Le Monde has assailed U.S. foreign policy continually for a long time, and they certainly don’t take their cues from us over here.
    • The media should just report on ALL news over there, and not focus on the bad. IMO, this isn’t respecting their country or the administration.
      Would anyone read all that news if they did report it? The U.S. media has to earn or it does a slow burn. Sizable numbers of people remain convinced that Iraq was involved in 9/11, and unaware that Saudi Arabia gave Al Quaeda FAR more funding than Saddam Hussein ever did. Would any amount of reporting reach these idiots?
      As for what entails “respect” for one’s country or administration, what makes us America is that everyone is free to decide that for themselves.
    • I’m not sure how bad they got during the Clinton years, but they seem, to me, that they are trying to make the administration look bad.
      Think carefully about your statement, and place it in context with world events. What the U.S. media is reporting is actually happening. Our soldiers are dying, every day. That is true, it is a fact. How could it do anything BUT make the administration look bad? They are sending soldiers to their deaths daily. Where’s the positive spin on that? Sure, the media could give more airtime and column inches to new bridges and repaired hospitals and what not, but the fact remains that your fellow citizens are dying bloody, violent deaths every day over there. Obviously, the administration doesn’t want the media to focus on that, because bad things happen at the polls when the citizenry starts showing up in body bags. Just ask Lyndon Johnson. To hear members of the administration whine about “negative press” is infuriating; do they think we’ll just ignore the blood on the streets?! Everytime a person dies in a lover’s quarrel or a gang shooting, it makes the front page of my local papers. Does a GI’s gory death at the hands of people he’s ostensibly there to help deserve any less attention?
  1. -People try to say the media is independent, but they sure don’t act like it IMO.
    Well, if the media is NOT independent, then who is controlling it? And if they changed their coverage in response to what the administration wants, wouldn’t they still not have independence? The President and the Pentagon can piss and moan all they want, but the fact is nobody in the media owes them shit. This adminstration has worked harder to control the press than hardly any before, but to listen to them whine you’d think they were victims. I just want to say something like “poor widdle Bush” and pat him on the head. Yes, the Big Bad Media drank his milk, left the toilet seat up, and tore his comic books.
    granted, members of the media can be plenty whiny in the face of adversity too. But the fact remains: they owe the president nothing. His image, or that of his administration, in not their responsibility. In a true democracy leaders must pay the Piper for their decisions, and members of the media are as well informed as anyone on how things are going in Iraq. After all, they are actually walking the streets there and seeing events with their own eyes. And that’s more than just about anyone in our government can say…

WWII = apples
Iraq = oranges

I seem to remember 24/7 coverage of the war, and the statue of Saddam coming down being replayed, ad naseum. Then there was the news coverage of the president flying onto an Aircraft Carrier in a flight suit and giving that swell speech in front of a “Mission Accomplished” banner.

How about all those reports of the Army finding something or other that “may turn out to be evidence of WMD”? We got a bunch of those. That it turned out to be bunk later is beside the point. I heard a bunch of news reports that GWB’s approval ratings were sky high and that most of the country was behind him during the war.

See, the press covers what is happening today. On many occasions, the press reported the stories that the White House wanted. That they are not doing so today is not evidence of any ‘filter’. What’s going on in Iraq today is not good. When something good happens, I’m sure we’ll here about it.

<<A broad survey of U.S. troops in Iraq by a Pentagon-funded newspaper found that half of those questioned described their unit’s morale as low and their training as insufficient, and said they do not plan to reenlist.

The survey, conducted by the Stars and Stripes newspaper, also recorded about a third of the respondents complaining that their mission lacks clear definition and characterizing the war in Iraq as of little or no value. Fully 40 percent said the jobs they were doing had little or nothing to do with their training. >>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32521-2003Oct15.html

Seems like the troops on the ground are not optimistic. My son’s there, and this story pretty well parallels what he has told me.

Ok, here is some frickin’ good news for you:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32403-2003Oct15.html

I can’t believe the evil liberal media actually reported this. :rolleyes:

So, what the catch- oh yeah this one: