Biden helps avert railway strike

No serious person thinks that the Inflation Reduction Act will actually reduce inflation.

“The Act would have no meaningful effect on inflation in the near term but would reduce inflation by around 0.1 percentage points by the middle of the first decade. These point estimates, however, are not statistically different from zero, indicating a low level of confidence that the legislation would have any measurable impact on inflation.”

Senate-Passed Inflation Reduction Act: Estimates of Budgetary and Macroeconomic Effects — Penn Wharton Budget Model (upenn.edu)

And what percentage of successful advertising depends on rationality?

You (kind of, true) asked for a sales pitch which would remove the issue of inflation as a Democrat problem. Obviously it won’t work on you, you are committed, but for the marginal voter, it will work very well. :slightly_smiling_face:

And it’s set up where you could probably remove a couple of those for use in a shorter spot. And just keep hammering it home.

You can use these historical examples (well, maybe take out the 1970s, lol) and literally make an argument that inflation is the price of victory for those who didn’t fight and/or die.

Back to the strike. Yesterday or the day before the leader of one of the unions that voted against the contract was saying that the only sticking point was that the union wanted 4 days of paid sick time per year. Presumably, in addition to whatever else was agreed upon. On its face, it would sound like a minor concession on the part of the rail companies. I’m not familiar with labor union contracts but isn’t paid sick time a normal thing? I get 12 days per year. Why the resistance on the part of the companies? Are the workers already paid so well that they should be able to afford to miss a few days of pay per year? Are the health benefits already so good that the workers should be expected to eat those days?
Fight my ignorance.

Care to explain what Biden had to do with inflation? Inflation is a global phenomenon and I believe is largely due to supply chain issues brought on by covid. If inflation is rampant throughout the world, why is Biden to blame for US inflation?

My understanding is that there are a couple of factors here:

• The old/expiring contracts apparently don’t give the employees any paid sick leave, except for long-term illnesses. It appears that the unions were willing to agree to that, in the past, in exchange for higher pay rates.
  • Due to the lack of paid sick days, when rail employees have contracted COVID over the past three years, they have been forced to quarantine at home, with no pay.
  • The major railroads have been dealing with significant staffing issues for several years, and employees have often been forced to work significant overtime.
  • The railroads have adopted a train scheduling system, called “precision scheduled railroading” (PSR) to increase efficiency and reduce costs – however, PSR has also led to reduced staffing, and often requires employees to agree to work without a set schedule, in favor of being available to staff a train on short notice (making it more difficult to take vacation days and sick days).

The Railroads have been cutting their way into ( increased ) profitability with a minimum of operating personnel. One such bit of coverage:

Are railroads to blame for the rail strike threat? - Angry Bear (angrybearblog.com)

At a railroad message board I’ve noted that the frustration/dismay seems to be that the main issue is time off, whether sick days, flexibility or any days at all, but that this narrative is being swept aside and by so doing, the RRs are controlling the narrative by making it an issue of just pay, as in “those greedy employees aren’t satisfied by the pay increase”. This is what the layman public sees.

One thing I take from the Angry Bear blog is that it would cost only 2% of the railroads profits to have the four days sick leave added. Profits which are huge. Another thing seems to be that they have asked the workers to do more with less and things are reaching their inevitable breaking point. I couldn’t imagine a job where you are on call 75% of the time and calling out sick (unscheduled time off) twice can get you fired. I’m pretty sure I never scheduled covid or the flu or a stroke or other illnesses that made me miss work. What is the average wage for a guy doing track maintenance?

How disastrous would it be if they did strike?

This article outlines some of the potential effects, especially if it were to drag on for any length of time. It contains the cite of “it would cost the U.S. economy $2 billion a day,” which I’ve heard from a number of sources, though I don’t know how that was arrived at.

My husband was a locomotive engineer for 38 years before he retired in 2015. Railroading is not an easy life. You’re on call 24/7 with one rest day per week. When the phone rings, you have to be there in two hours. There is no extra pay for holidays or weekends. You might be on a train for 14 hours and are subject to call again in 10 hours. Most of the new hires either quit or get fired for marking off too much. Biden has the power to stop the strike with his mighty pen, but he’d rather have Congress do it so he doesn’t get blamed by the unions.

I don’t know what the pay is for that particular craft, but the affected employees are also the engineers and the conductors, who belong to different unions. The thing is though from what I’ve seen posted is that it’s not about the money: it’s the quality of life issues ie…working to live rather than living to work.

I briefly considered that job back about 20 years ago when the airline I worked for had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Talked to a few guys and they suggested I stay where I am ride it out. It was always, basically the money is good but you basically have no life. One of them, an engineer said that he had a stretch where he worked 12 hours on and 10 hours off, much of them in motels away from his home terminal, for about 45 days in a row.

There was one two week period where I saw him awake for a cumulative total of 14 hours. I worked nights at the time and there was no use making the bed because someone was always in it.

Injecting trillions of dollars into the economy through things like Covid relief, restricting our energy independence, BBB, the so-called inflation reduction act, and the ill-fated student loan vote buying scheme.

More dollars chasing fewer goods = inflation.

Don’t worry, here in Canada the Conservatives – and especially the Alberta United Conservative Party – are blaming that same worldwide inflation on Justin Trudeau, they’ve even started branding it “Justinflation”.

COVID relief happened during tRump’s term. Exactly HOW have Build Back Better and the others had any significant negative effect as you suggest (and spare the bumper-sticker economics)? Forgiving student loans that are a decade or more old is making inflation higher?

Wrong. The American Rescue Plan Act was passed on March 20th, 2021, and signed by President BIDEN the next day.

And there was NO COVID relief prior to that?