[QUOTE=catsix]
Meh. I don’t have any interest in being the friend of most of my male friends’ girlfriends. They tend to be girls, which in every case has meant that they don’t like doing the things I like to do, and I don’t like doing the things they like to do.
[/QUOTE]
Well, you know, you don’t have to become best friends with them. As I said, I would not be likely to be friends with my guy friend’s wife if it wasn’t for my prior friendship with him. The idea is to be nice and friendly, and make a little bit of an effort to get to know her. I think this is just common courtesy when a friend is involved seriously with someone. I do the same with my girlfriends’ husbands/SOs, as well.
No reason to have to hang out with them without your friend present…I am not close enough with any of my guy friends’ wives to do that. But there are occasions when I see them, and I treat them as I would my own friends…chat, ask them questions about their jobs or their kids or whatever. It’s not a big deal, but it goes a long way to showing them that I am not a threat.
I wouldn’t disagree with this. My husband doesn’t typically hang out with the guys he has met through me, but I do expect him to make an effort to be nice when we do have occasion to get together. Say we are having a barbeque or whatever, I would expect him to be just as genial a host to my guy friends as he is to his guy friends. The idea is that they are all “family friends” now.
I wouldn’t necessarily like this either, but I think that I could definitely push the bounds of what is appropriate. If I told my husband that a guy friend and I went out to lunch, he wouldn’t care, and I wouldn’t expect him to. If I told my husband I was going out clubbing alone with the guy friend on a Saturday night, I would expect him to not be too thrilled with that.
Basically, what I am trying to say is that when one is in a serious relationship, there are appropriate ways to handle other opposite-sex friendships and inappropriate ways. Showing no interest whatsoever in your friend’s SO is not the way to go about having healthy relationships all the way around, IMO.