big love 7/30 (spoylers)

It’s been suggested that he did indeed have sex with Margene prior to marriage, though.

It just seems so hypocritical that Bill freaks out when his son is having sex, but he gets to bed three women whenever he likes (okay, granted, he’s having burnout). I felt awful for Ben when he was telling his parents that he’s still the same person inside, despite his “sins.”

And don’t forget the gem of a scene when Bill tells Sarah he’ll talk to her later about the fact she knew something and Sarah says: I’m always right here, dad. That must’ve made him feel about 2" tall. I assume that Sarah is a year or two older than Ben since she’s been driving for awhile and Ben just turned 16.

…I don’t see anything hypocritical about a married man telling his 16 year old son not to have premarital sex.

Well, as Bill’s basically having what amounts to as extramarital sex (he’s not legally married to Margene or Nicki), gets sex on a regular basis AND gets to go on dates with hot waitresses. Especially since it’s been strongly suggested that Bill and Margene had sex before they were “married.”

It’s also been hinted that Bill himself has had premarital sex.

…I think you are missing a fundamental element of the show. To Bill and as Bill sees it-- in the eyes of God- he is married to all three women.

Regardless if he and Margie had sex before it was official, the holy spirit brought the two of them together so the sin of that would be washed away when they were wed.

As Bill saw it, for Ben, it wasn’t the holy spirit it was teen horniness and puppy love.

So if Ben ended up getting married to Bryn (as he was more than willing to do), their sin would’ve been washed away, too?

I don’t think I’m missing any part of the show. I know that Bill constantly talks about how he believes in the Principle, but they’re showing how convenient this belief is for him. That is, it’s a belief system that allows Bill to use the Principle to justify whatever he wants (asking out a cute waitress), but not what his wives want (i.e., it’s not right for Margene to make friends with/have a say in a potential fourth wife).

I think you’re being a bit unfair to Bill here. It’s not like he just does what he pleases, and then twists his ideology to back it up. As others have pointed out, he did NOT have sex with Ana, although it was abundantly clear that he could have.
Do we know for certain that Margene and Bill had sex before their “marriage”?

I think Roman has to be dead because you can’t play “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” for someone’s who just gravely wounded.

That’s not right. I saw “Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid.”

Back in season one, Nicki suspects that they did, and she tells Margene to look her in the eye and and tell her that they didn’t have sex before marriage. Margene responds by widening her eyes and staring at her–Nicki takes this as an admission of guilt.

I mean, the whole set up is pretty suspicious. Bill lives his whole life without taking any other wives until Barb gets sick. Then, when he took money from Roman, he pretty much had to take Nicki as a wife. I suppose Bill’s version of this would be that he “found” the Principle–pretty convenient, no? He grew up, aware of how twisted his family/community at Juniper Creek were, renouncing it for a long time, and then just decided to rediscover the Principle? Is he even following the same Principle as in Juniper Creek, or he just picking and choosing the parts he likes, and discarding the creepy ones?

Bill basically lost all my respect when he decided to invest in the gambling thing. Don Embry may be doing the same thing as Bill, but he at least knew better when it came to this. This is a prime example of Bill knowing something is wrong and yet deciding it’s convenient to do it anyway–his justification is that they need a safe way of earning money.

I agree. And he was shot in the stomach. That’s almost always a death sentence on film (or TV).

…and it was in slow motion and there was a lot of blood. It makes me want to go back through the posts analyzing the last 5 minutes of The Sopranos to see what butterscotch and 7up are symbolic of…

Bill’s a hypocrite, not a sociopath. He didn’t have sex with Ana, but he’s willing to accept money stolen from a cancer patient to finance his gambling deal. He was apparently glad to find out that his uncle stole the money, since that allowed him to declare the loan to be interest free.

His attitude toward Ben doesn’t necessarily make him a hypocrite, it makes him an asshole. That kid is clearly pretty screwed up already, and his dad is passing moral judgments from on high like, say, Roman.

I meant Alby, whoops…

Not true. Just because you’re knockin’ on Heavens door is no reason someone inside has to answer it.

Hi all…

Wanted to watch it twice- too much happening in this one!

Curious as to what “power” Ben will receive as far as being a priestholder. I’m sure his sisters will be thrilled :rolleyes: . I did like Ben a tiny bit for the first time when he stood up to his dad and said he wasn’t going to stop seeing his girlfriend. Although I don’t care for the character or actor, he does remind me of boys I grew up with in a fairly fundamentalist Christian church so I don’t think his screwy ideas are unfathomable for a religiously raised teenager. If Bill’s idea of Ben’s “help” is something similar to Alby’s help to Roman- that poor kid will be WAY over his head and probably get killed.

The dynamic between the three wives when Bill throws them a loop was fun to watch- especially Margene and Nicki.

Lois was great! Horrid bitch but great to watch. I wonder if she resembles Sarah so much on purpose- I can totally see Sarah growing up to be alot like her grandmother (hopefully not as devious).

I think Roman is critically injured, not dead yet- something about the previews- looks more like there is going to be a wrestling for power in the compound. I think he is toast though, I think it may take at least one more episode to be final. Did anyone else think something was going to happen to Roman as soon as he asked Bill to look after his daughter?

I was really disappointed in Bill and Barb and the way they handled Ben’s “issue”. I can understand them reacting strongly about it but they didn’t give him any reason to think he may have been wrong in going outside the family for help. At first, they seemed more concerned about the bishop finding out about them then the fact Ben was having (assuming unprotected) sex with his girlfriend.

This damn show needs to be available on the internet (lots of network television shows are put online, on the network website, by the network). grumble stupid, expensive cable, being too expensive to purchase.

walks off grumbling, waiting for the next season to come on DVD

Based on Barb and Sarah’s conversation about college she’s a high school senior which would make her 17 and soon to be 18. It’s summer on the show, right :confused: ? She does love her family, but she also doesn’t want to stick around any longer than she needs too. She’s headed for a break once she graduates (didn’t Bill tell her “your my responsibility until you’re 18 and married” last week)? Roman is going to die, but he’ll linger for an episdoe or two, in the hospital, and unable to communicate. Did he make any plans for the succession? Have we seen any sons of his other than Alby? And what could the ATF bitch get Bill for if he stepped foot outside of Utah? Polygamy is only a federal crime in the territories, isn’t it? Otherwise it’s a state crime and the feds wouldn’t be involved (excluding child-brides crossing state lines).

Got to watch this eppy last night and found myself wishing I hadn’t watched the previews the week before. I kept waiting for the scene with the Green clan lady with the gun,

What about the ATF agent’s attitude and the story that they had chased the Greens to New Mexico. Then the Greens show up on the street and shoot Roman. Is that going to come back and bite the agent in the ass?

No, bienville has it right. If you look at Chloe’s imdb page you’ll see that there was no slowdown in her career at all.

She is an Indie actress through-and-through, and you have to do a hell of a lot more than blow your boyfriend on-screen to lose indie cred.

I’ve always been a big fan of hers, having seen most of her movies. But that imdb photo has got to go. (I think it’s from Trees Lounge.)

Late to the party (had to catch up on about thee episodes on TiVo): Did anyone else get a “Godfather” vibe from the last scene, when Roman is shot? Severe, but not necessarily fatal, wounds, and Alby/Fredo at the car, running back to his father on the ground, helpless and useless? Based on that, my guess is that Roman is going to live, at least for a while.