Bigots tick me off!

SterlinNorth: I see your point, now look at it this way:

The mother is comparing her intolerance to her husbands. She is saying hers is not as bad as his. She is not saying that her intolerance isn’t real or “doesn’t count”, just that, compared to his, it’s not much.

What others have been saying here is that bigotry towards bigots is not bigotry at all. Intolerance towards the intolerant is not intolerance at all.

Now do you see my point?

Robodude sez:

I didn’t notice your message in between the Kansas posts until now. I wasn’t specifically talking about that incident. That was included too but a much better example is the reaction I got from TVeblen. He/She declared their hate for me without even knowing what I was bigoted against. Does that seem like a good reason to you?

===========================================
speakeasy: Look spunky, it’s obvious you’re either too stupid or too arrogant to have read the thread…

What the fuck makes you think you’re important enough to make me repeat my argument?

… then it’s not even worth my time to insult you.

Blow me, I followed it from the start until I got sick of listening to your drivel.

I didn't want you to repeat your lame argument, I was sorta hoping you might improve it a little. You know, reasonable premise, all relevant facts, consistent chain of logic, etc.

Sorry dude, you make a simplistic statement and are conveniently blind to little distinctions like; does this group advocate crime and harm based on racial or religious predudice? Face it, you've been shot out of the saddle. See ya.

OK just for chuckles, let’s put it in little tiny words so it’s crystal clear.

Some folks you can leave alone and they will happily go about their business and leave you alone. These folks come in many different colors and cultures. They might be a little odd & eat strange things but they’re basically OK. Heck, if things go smooth you might even start swapping things with them.

Other folks aren’t like that. They will come into your back yard and mess with you, maybe get together with some fellow right-minded right-color friends and set something on fire, have some fun. They think fun is you having a bad day. Those kind of folks you can’t leave alone because they won’t leave you alone. This can quickly lead to bad things, put down that joystick and read some history fer christ sakes.

Buy 'em books, send 'em to school, and all they do is eat the covers.

I hesitate to post here since I am relativly new and hate to burn bridges this early in the game, but I have a question.

If I disagree with someone’s lifestyle (homosexuals), but don’t protest and don’t even go out of my way to avoid them, does that put me on the shit list? I’ve decided to let them live their lives and I’ll live mine. If our paths cross, then there’s no reason to be a dick. I just figure they get enough of that already. I’m not gonna change them so why bother. It’s not like their sexual preferance comes up in casual conversation. Anyway, I don’t “hate” them. I just don’t agree with them.

Am I a “bigot”?

Thanks,

Daniel

So that’s your way of saying you didn’t read it.

Gee, that’s like saying “face it, you’re wrong”. It’s not an argument, just a statement of your opinion. And I don’t care too much for your opinion.

There’s your hypocricy again. You’re stereotyping bigots. Are all bigots violent? The mormons are bigots aren’t they? They don’t like homosexuals. But do you see them going out and setting fires?

You’re just as much of a bigot as any KKK member, the only difference is that they’re honest enough to admit it.

So, the Klan is a good old bunch of honest guys to you, eh? More than I wanted to know…

============================================
I followed it from the start until I got sick of listening to your drivel.

So that’s your way of saying you didn’t read it.

No, Einstein, that’s when I started kicking you in the shins. Notice that dull pain just above ground level? Yeah, that.

I don’t care too much for your opinion.

Wow, what an amazing coincidence. Spooky.

Hmm, littler teensier words might do it.

Cops have a term they learn in cop school, “bad actors”. It’s a thing they drill on; don’t look at what the guy looks like, look at what he’s doing. Helps get around pre conceived notions and comprehend the situation.

There are plenty of perfectly legitimate reasons to hate a person. For example, if a guy breaks into your house, you are legally allowed to hate him enough to shoot him. That’s a standard that has been set by your fellow primates.

However, when someone starts hating a person for who they are or what they look like rather than what what they do, that’s crossing the line.

When someone tries to shove a pet opinion into someone else’s life, that’s crossing the line.

There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with getting creeped out by gays or something. Not one of my hangups, it’s a thing to get over, but hey it happens.

There’s nothing wrong with trying to spread the word. Lots of folks have worthwhile things to say and there are plenty of appropriate times and places to say it.

On the other hand, if you didn’t like the color of my socks, and you wanted to picket my driveway until I ran out and bought your color of socks, you’d be my new hobby.

It’s amazing how you can make such a long post and not have anything to say.

So tell me, do you hate mormons or not? Do you consider them bigots?

Um,

I do hate a great deal of people, but I choose to hate them individually. Fred Phelps, Jesse Helms, et.al. have earned my hatred and contempt due to their personal actions. This is a subcategory of hatred known as personal enmity. They share this category with such paramecia as Ariel, the guy who managed to insult both me and my ex-boyfriend, each to the other, behind each’s backs, because he had a crush on my ex. Whatever.

I have this thing where if someone is going to keep saying, I think gays are the scum of the earth, or even, I think homosexual sex is unnatural, they are going to have a great deal of trouble keeping me as a friend, or even being permitted to associate with me. For one thing, I doubt that they’d want me as an acquaintance; for another, I’d rather not hang out with people who I’m aware think of me as a sinner. I refer to this particular category as political opposition. It takes a great deal for me to keep someone on as a friend at this basic a level of political opposition; this usually takes the form of “agreeing to disagree”, or realizing that someone was the product of their times, and actively reflecting on their good works rather than their homophobia (or whatever). Dorothy Parker falls into this category (a homophobe, but a product of her times; not to mention my fave writer of poetry and short stories, member of Hollywood Anti-Nazi league, opponent of McCarthy, and benefactor of the NAACP), as does my obnoxiously evangelist Christian friend Nicole (a lesbian, interestingly enough).

In the case of political enmity, homophobia is no different from other political and other philosophies which will cause me to not want to hang out with their authors (Friedmanesque capitalism, Ayn-Rand-esque amoral neo-liberalism, fascism, hatred of the poor, etc.)

Nobody’s going to claim, I presume, that I have to hang out with people whose beliefs I find obnoxious. Likewise, I don’t claim that people who find my beliefs obnoxious have to hang out with me. On the contrary, I bid them adieu, good riddance, and a tedious returning.

HEY, HEY, HEY!!! You see how HATRED breeds more HATRED. It’s disgusting. Stop it. You shouldn’t HATE anyone. You can either give them what they want,attention, or you can not give a shit. This all started about a gay bashing piece of shit and has become everyone thinking everyone else is the FUCKING ANTICHRIST!!! Stop it. I kill people for a iving and I have NEVER in my life seen so much hatred.
God hated Two things, Pokemon, and Harry Potter. He said nothing about gays, or ignorant posters.

Your Humble,
Tubassassin

Chef at Denny’s?

>^,^<
KITTEN
Please tell your pants it’s not polite to point.

I rarely come out of lurkdom. But today, I will.
For the benefit of all the intelligent beings here, and the other (Hi Konrad), let us take a moment to review the meaning of the word “bigot”.
Konrad, my sick little friend, a bigot is someone obstinately and intolerantly devoted to his own beliefs. Someone who is narrow-minded, prejudiced, and is obstinate about it. This, dear one, does NOT apply to anyone here so far but you.
As for intolerance to bigots: to lay asside all prejudices, is to lay aside all principles. He who is destute of principles is governed by whims. If you fight for what is right, you ultimately win. And though there might not be an absolute truth, or an absolute right, we can only hope we fight for the right causes.
As for you, my friend Konrad, face it: the people who have responded to you are not bigots because they hate bigotry. On the contrary, they have shown seemingly endless compassion by replying to your infantile comments. That, my friend, is proof of superior intelligence.
I won’t tell you to crawl back to the pond you came from. I have too much respect for bacteria.
Feel free to flame me - I’ve dealt with your kind before.

Elenfair

“Semper Ubi Sub Ubi.” =-)

No.

Alas, my very favorite bigot-lover and alleged flame craftsman has been bested by a one-poster. What is the world coming to?

From the WWWebster Dictionary .

Yes.

P.S. Elenfair, you are my new favorite person. Welcome to the Straight Dope Message Board.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Awww… blush Thank you, Manhattan. I’ve been lurking for a while and glad to join in!

As for you, Konrad my friend, Goethe said it well - There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.
I won’t condone mandatory sterilization of people like this, but I’ll sure recommend in-breeding in the hopes that that side of the gene pool will self-destruct. It’s also been shown that if two first-rate bigots mate, they tend to have less children than if they marry non-bigots. Not that they’re less fertile - they’re just too busy doin’ things solo. Narcissus at work, I suppose… phew… Never lose faith in the universe… though I think idiots and bigots were put down here for amusement purposes. Some big galactic joke. Sorta like Zeus putting ants in “God’s” Corn Flakes…
Bah guys… the more I think about it, the more I’m finding that years of college teaching have taught me one thing: I’m amused by idiots.

Konrad, you amuse me.

<g> E.

Love= winning

Hate=losing

manhattan: I guess then by your dictionary’s definition you are a bigot.

Sorry pal, I used to live in Soho and when the freaks started doing their gay pride (belch!!!) marches I left town.

Ain’t been back to live there since, keep it in the bedroom, son, at least the only danger you face if you do that is AIDS!

Peace and Love,

THE GAY PHADE :slight_smile:

Oh yeah and Elenfair, I noticed you became a member just today. Just how many hours were you lurking?

Phaedrus, you’re one to talk, having lurked for about three seconds before you commenced blathering all over the board.

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Sorry to disappoint you Chris but I was lurking for 97,672 years before I posted. :wink:

Ya know, it’s one thing dealing with people who disagree with you. It’s another thing completely to deal with people whose sole purpose is to prove you wrong. The kind of person that will ignore obvious facts if they don’t fit their ideas.

This may be a little hard for you to grasp, but many different people have different understandings of the word bigot. That is why dictionaries have many different entries for it. For example, I tried www.dictionary.com, and guess what, it’s a dictionary! It has 6 entries for the word bigot.

Guess what is the only thing common to all definitions?

“intolerant of those who differ”

If you want to go argue things by redefining the persons arguments then there’s not much point to it. Look at the first post. That has defined what we are arguing about here. Understand that? Manhattan posted about anti-gay protesters. We are using his definition of bigot. That is someone who is intolerant of those who are different.

What you’re trying to prove here is a truism. By the very definition of “obstinate” you can say a person will not listen to reason. Woohoo! You’re a big genius by basically saying “What’s wrong is wrong”.

However, that doesn’t change the fact, that some of those protesters which Manhattan was ranting about, who he labelled bigots, may not have been obstinate at all.

Ya know what? I think it’s time for a puppet show again…

[open curtains]
[enter manhattan, Konrad, Toidi]
m: Those anti-gay protesters are bigots. I hate bigots.

K: Doesn’t that mean you’re bigoted against bigots?

T: I define bigots to be obstinate. Therefore those anti-gay protesters were obstinate.

K: No.

M: Look! It’s right here in the dictionary! You’re wrong.

K: Want to feel my boner?

[close curtains]
[end of act 1]