Bill Cosby Himself: This may be the funniest comedy show I've ever seen

Here’s a convenient link to the Bill Cosby Himself standup routine that was released as a movie in the 1980s.

I know every single word of this show, and I love it. It may very well be the funniest comedy routine ever recorded. I love me some George Carlin, but I don’t think any of his shows held up for 90 minutes of just hilarity.

Dad is great…gives us the chocolate cake!

I want you…to go upstairs…and KILL that boy.

“Dad, I’m Jesus Christ!”

And you are willing to put your face…in a place…that was never meant for your face.

YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!

We used to watch this all the time when it played on Showtime or HBO or whichever one it was. I never followed Cosby, before or since, but I have no trouble agreeing with the premise of this thread. Special kudos to the lighting director who’d make them react to punchlines on cue.

In Natural Childbirth, no drugs will be administered into the female’s body during the delivery.
The father can have all he wants.

(bolding mine)

Aye, Bill Cosby: Himself is the single greatest stand-up routine ever. Bar none.

The 2nd & 3rd greatest stand-up routines ever are Eddie Murphy’s Raw and Delirious.

And on the next contraction, she told everybody in the delivery room that my parents were never married.

I’ve seen this I can’t even count how many times. I’m watching it right now and I’ve laughed out loud a dozen or so times, and I’m only 20 minutes in. Just watching him do the different types of drunks walks…lord!

And that’s called Having A Good Time!

One of my favorites:

“I WANT MORPHINE!”

“Push 'em out, shove 'em out, waaaay out!”

“We went to parties and people would ask us to breathe. 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the Breathing Crosbys!”"

“Oh dear, not in the Ferrari!”

“The doctor’s sitting there like Johnny Bench”

“Carol Burnette described what giving birth feels like. She said ‘Take your bottom lip and pull it over your head’”

“Get the salad spoons man”

“They started to clean it off, and it wasn’t getting any better”

There are too many too too many. Every single line is funny, and his facial expressions are priceless!
I have to stop the video and sleep, but I’ll go to bed chuckling.

“Cocaine is supposed to intensify your personality…but what if you’re an asshole?”

The bit about the dentist, and how his numbed lip feels…I’m not even going to try to quote it here, but it’s hysterical.

I listened to that on a plane once. It was one program out of maybe 10. Quite funny to see certain headphone-wearing passengers all laughing on cue.

O-be kay-be!

He did that as an encore when I saw him live a couple years ago.

I grew up digging through my parents’ record collection and listening to their Cosby records. If you get a chance, “Wonderfulness” still transcends time. Especially, the Chicken Heart.

“That’s not the same woman I grew up with.”

“And tired.”

“ANSWER ME!”

I have to see if I can find this streaming somewhere, it’s been a while since I looked. I watched it to death when it was on TV all the time, and I used to have it on tape somewhere. To this day, my father buys chocolate cakes when the occasion calls for it, so we will sing to him. The “Dad, I’m Jesus Christ” line was always especially funny to my parents because my brother spent a little bit of time thinking his name was “Danny Goddammit.”

My best friend has never seen or heard of this film, and I am completely flummoxed by that fact. I need to get a copy so she understands these things.

It is, it’s the best standup I’ve ever seen. I watched a bad VHS recording of it several dozen times in the 80s, and I had a (slightly edited) version on audio cassette that my siblings would listen to with me constantly. I still rewatch it every year or so.

(On smoking pot)

“I went over to the Burger King… And so a guy took a piece of meat… and threw it on the grill… I said ‘Oh, wow!’… Then he turned it over… It was all brown!.. I said ‘Far out!’… And then he put it in between two pieces of bread… I said ‘Oh, no!’… and a guy ate it.”

and Jeffrey on the plane.

and his parents becoming human again now that they have grandchildren.

I’m a terrible mom, I made my kids watch the “Nightly Beating” part, and told them how lucky they were… :smiley:

We grew up listening to Cosby albums and watching Fat Albert on Saturday mornings. Nothing like Cos when he’s on a roll…

I want to watch Froo Froo Froofy the Dog!
You can’t watch Froofy the Dog. I’m watching Gunsmoke.
But on Gunsmoke they’re drowning little baby kittens!

And when you have your tonsils out, you can have all the ice cream you want!

Buck buck number one, come out!!