Birthday Terminology

A FOAF (well, a FOMB actually – a Friend of My Brother) claims there is a special term for when the day of your birthday is the same as your age. For example, if your birthday is May 21st and you will be 21 this year, it’s one of those special birthdays. Or if your birthday is June 16th and you will be 16. You get the picture.

Of course he does not know what the term is, but he’s sure there is one. So how about it? Is there such a word and, if so, what is it?

I wait with bated breath for the Teeming Millions to enlighten me. And my brother. And his friend.

It’s called smegma. Once, a friend tried to convince me that it wasn’t called smegma; that smegma was something else. Ha! What a fool!

:smiley:

Are you following me around trying to make my life difficult?

I have friends in high places, I’ll have you know!

I believe that’s what’s referred to as one’s golden birthday.

you have to have your golden birthday before you reach 32.

I dunno. One’s 50th anniversary is their golden anniversary, and when an artist sells 500,000 records, the record’s gone gold. This doesn’t follow the pattern.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, It’s happend before. :slight_smile:

Well, a quick google search for “golden birthday” returns a few sites that seem to bear me out on this. I’m sticking to my guns.

I’m not sure if everyone calls it a golden birthday, but in my family we have a long-standing tradition of doing huge celebrations on what we call golden birthdays. I don’t remember much about mine because I was only 8 at the time, but the one thing I do remember is that my mom made me wear a big gold bow (which was one big part of the family tradition, one had to get a golden bow) in my hair all day because it was my “golden birthday.”

And as for having to be under 32, what if you are born on a leap year? Does that mean this special birthday will happen when you are 29, or when you are 116?

Such as this one:

http://www.rbls.lib.il.us/dpl/FAQgoldbday.htm

Ah, here we go:

This site credits the concept of golden birthdays to a woman named Joan Bramsch. It also laments that no greeting card company has picked up on it and exploited it. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Next time, tell them to come up with an original name for these things. :slight_smile:

How many months have 116 days in them :wink:

Of course, 29 years later is guarenteed to not be a leap year. I’d say you’re screwed.

Nah, just saw both of your threads late last night after much studying.

And don’t you get those white collar pansy-asses after me, 'cause I’ve got friends in low places.

It’s not possible for someone born on Feb. 29 to have a “golden birthday.” See, 'cuz 29 is not divisible by 4.

Ok, math is not my thing but I’m pretty sure that’s right.

BTW, had my golden birthday last year and I actually received 24 presents. From my in-laws. My own parents, upon learning that it was indeed my Golden Birthday, shrugged.

Oh, well.

Wait a minute! I thought a golden birthday was when your age was the same as your birth-year. I was born in 1949 so when I turned 49 it was my golden birthday. Or so I thought.

If a golden birthday is when your age and birthday match up, then what is this thing I’m talking about? A platinum birthday?

About the 116 years old thing, I meant that someone born on February 29 would have had 29 actual birthdays when they turn 116. Hence, you could say they are only “29 years old” and celebrate their golden birthday when they turn 116.

Maybe I’m just really confused now :slight_smile: