Bitches set up Marion Barry (again)

This guy is his own worst enemy. He just can’t seem to get himself straight and stay out of the spotlight. Apparently he’s tested positive for coke while awaiting sentencing for the tax returns he failed to file. Here’s a real piece of deep self-analysis:

Mmm-hmm. Right. :dubious: Best of all, according to city charter, he can keep his council seat even if he goes to jail! :shakes head smiley:

I understand that Barry is quite popular with his constituents in his local Ward.

I can only assume he truly represents them in every way - addictions and all?

You may assume that even with his faults, they would rather have him represent them than whoever his opponent was.

Though Barry has crossed my personal line (if I lived in his district), I’m fairly fed up with the insistence that elected officials be pure as the driven snow. I would vote for someone who has made mistakes in life, and learned from them, if I thought that he or she would represent me as I desired. What we end up with are the people who were the teacher’s pets, and the brown-nosers, and the weather-vane watchers.

It’s not so much that. He represents the poorest part of a relatively wealthy town, and his election was really just a giant middle finger from the ward to everyone else.

I’m sure Mr. Barry’s snow is pretty pure. :wink:

When he first got busted as the DC Mayor back in '85 or so, I spliced in a lead to the story on my college radio station from Marion’s appearance on a live Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers album:

I’m Marion Barry and this is my rap, we don’t tolerate drugs in the nations Cap"

priceless

Apparently all this guy has learned is that he can do drugs and still get elected.

I’d like to point out that this sentence is in past tense, not present. Do you feel the same about a guy who continues to make mistakes, over and over? Presently, Barry is dealing with tax issues, and drug use, and possible jail time. He was also robbed a gunpoint a week ago (drug related?) I have a feeling his efforts are not laser focused on Ward 8 issues right now.

Are his fellow council members going to take him seriously, or is he just a clown who managed to dupe his constituency into electing him? I could certainly see him arguing a point only to have his peers ignore him due to his pathetic and public inability to manage his own life.

No, I wouldn’t vote for him - he’s crossed where I draw the line. More for the tax evasion than the drugs.

After his coke conviction, he was toying with running for mayor again. He would have won.

Three local universities offered him a post as a Professor of Political Science. The sinecure would carry a salary ($200k?) and a staff. It came with two conditions:

1. He not run for elected office,
  2. He never set foot on their campuses or teach any classes.

He turned them down. The man seems to be a mass of addictions.

Paul, do you have a cite for that? That’s something I had not heard.

He DID win. He was convicted around 1991, if memory serves, and was elected mayor again in 1995. After Congress took away all his power in the late 1990s, Tony Williams took over, straightened the city out a great deal, and Barry contemplated a 2002 run for an at-large city council seat, which is pretty much a half-step down from mayor. He dropped that idea when the US Park Police found cocaine and pot in his car. He ultimately was elected to his current Ward 8 seat in 2004.

Barry is just an embarassment, not just because of his drug use. It is well known that he’s built his political fortunes on patronage: handing out non-existent city jobs to buy favors with potential supporters. The number of “ghost employees” in this city created by Barry and his lackeys continues to be a problem. The only thing I’m more steamed at is that he hasn’t been brought up on corruption charges and barred from public office.

The official version of that robbery pegged my bullshit meter. Did he really expect people to believe that those guys (who he admitted were at least aquaintances) knocked on his door, were invited in, and then spontaneously decided to rob him? That was a blown drug deal, plain and simple.

I’m not the least bit suprised that he tested positive. He’ll always test positive. I can only hope that the people who keep electing him to public office to send a “message” finally realize that the message has changed. He needs help, and so do his constituents.

I’m still amused every time I see a jar of marionberry jam.

And this, people, is the nation’s single biggest argument against granting DC statehood (no that we need it).

In a word, no. I was almost certainly passing through DC about the time of the last (or the one before last) mayoral election and saw it in the Post. I do recall George Mason and UMCP were two of the universities.

BTW, did you know the guy is a ABD for his PhD in (wait for it) Mathematics? How long is going to take to knock out that paper?

We know that it’s bullshit. After all, firearms have been outlawed in D.C.

The only reason he’ll be able to keep his council seat if he’s convicted this time is because it’s not a felony conviction. It’s my understanding that a felony conviction would take him out of the picture.

He’s a total joke, though. If I were someone who’d voted for him, I’d be incredibly embarrassed.

Well played.

Thank you, sir.