"Black Adder's Christmas Carol" Returns!

For those of you in the Manhattan/northern NJ area, WLIW is FINALLY rerunning “Black Adder’s Christmas Carol” this coming Friday (Dec. 22) at 10:00!

Absolutely hilarious, do try to catch or tape it. WLIW is in Long Island, dunno how far their signal reaches.

I also recommend it. They won’t be showing it in my area (unless A&E or BBC America does), but I’ve seen it a couple of times. Loved it.

“So your telling me that if I’m a good man, I end up wearing Baldrick’s posing pouch?”

I have a friend who is a huge Britcom fan, and she has a tape of ‘Blackadder: Back and Forth’, which is supposedly the last adventure of Edmund. It hasn’t made it to the States yet. I can’t wait until it does, so that they can build another marathon around it.

It’s a classic.

I wish A&E would rebroadcast “Bernard & the Genie.” It was a BBC Xmas movie from years back with Lenny Henry playing the genie, and Rowan Atkinson as a git of an art dealer who gets his come-uppance.

It’s good - I’ve seen it twice, once at the Millennium Dome ( the only decent attraction there! ) & once on cable. It must be going to make the states soon.

Bernard & the Genie was good too, but I don’t think they have even re-run it over here.

“God rest ye merry, gentlemen and little piggies, too
If we were little piggies, we’d sing piggie wiggie woo!
Oh, piggie wiggie woo, piggie wiggie woo!
Oh, piggie wiggie woo!”

God, that makes me laugh! I hope our DC-area PBS stations also show it.

So can someone in the NY area who is going to the dopefest tape it for a poor soul with neither cable nor reception?

MR

Prince of Wales: What’s the difference between you and a girly, anyway, Blackadder?

Edmund: I cannot conceive, Your Highness.

I love it!

I own a copy! Gloat, gloat. I’ve got it set aside for Christmas Eve, with a bottle of single malt.

Oooh, you naughty German sausage!

I have the complete Black Adder boxed set

Ultra Gloat

I’ve scheduled a viewing of the tape for a night this week. It is the only Christmas themed episode of anything I’ve ever liked.

Here’s a random hijack - a friend of mine used the theme from Black Adder instead of traditional music in her wedding. Most people didn’t notice, but it was really funny to see the lightbulbs go on as a few realized what it was.

So do I. And the Christmas Carol. Ultra Mega Gloat.

“Go and get me a turkey so large you’d think its mother had been rogered by an omnibus.”

BBC America will be showing “Blackadder’s Christmas Carol” on December 23rd, 25th, and 26th.

They will also air “Bernard and the Genie” saturday evening at midnight, and again sunday morning.

I have some questions about the chronology of the Black Adder series. The first season, as I understand it, was set in medieval times (it’s been a long time since I saw it, but wasn’t it around the 1300s or so?). The second season was in Elizabethan times. Then, the next series I saw was Black Adder goes Forth, which was set during WWI. I also saw the Black Adder Christmas Carol once.

Is there a series between the second season and the Black Adder goes Forth? I thought that it was the fourth season, and the ‘Goes Forth’ was a bit of a pun or whatever…am I right?

BadtzYou missed the third series set in the time of the pronce regency, when Black Adder was Prince George’s butler.

Oh & they also had a short episode which probably gave the idea for back & forth during one of the BBC’s Comic Relief evenings…when he is brought x hundred years into the future. I don’t think that that one is available anywhere & I didn’t tape it at the time. It was only about 20 minutes long, but it was fun.

In The Black Adder, we meet Edmund (Rowan Atkinson), the slimy younger son of King Richard IV (Brian Blessed). He’s accompanied by his friend Percy (Tim McInnerny) and his servant Baldrick (Tony Robinson).

In Blackadder II, we encounter Lord Edmund Blackadder (Rowan
Atkinson), direct descendant of the odious Prince Edmund. He plots and schemes in the court of Queen Elizabeth I (Miranda Richardson), aided by his friend Lord Percy (Tim McInnerny) and his servant Baldrick (Tony Robinson).

In Blackadder The Third, Edmund Blackadder (Rowan Atkison) is butler to George, the Prince Regent (Hugh Laurie).

In Blackadder Goes Forth, Captain Edmund Blackadder (Rowan
Atkinson) shares a World War I dugout with Lieutenant George Barleigh (Hugh Laurie) and Private Baldrick (Tony Robinson).

Ten years after the final series, a special episode called Blackadder Back And Forth was made to celebrate the new millennium.

BTW, don’t get too excited about “Blackadder: Back and Forth”. I have to say I thought it was pretty weak stuff compared to what had gone before, but maybe that was destined to be the case!

Anyone else find it amusing that old Eddie goes down in social status each series? He goes from being prince to lord to butler to captain. That can’t have been an accident…

Ah, but if the Ghost of Christmas’ vision was TRUE, and Edmund Blackadder the formerly kindest, nicest man in England turned evil, didn’t his descendent end up ruling the Universe? So it all comes out in the end.