"Blacks hate the cold..."

Thanks ever so much for clearing that up for me. The white supremacist argument and point of view is so full of nuance and subtlety that all but the most obvious layers of meaning simply passed me by.

Honestly, I wouldn’t put too much weight on a comment from one of those sites.

Most members of those sites let their anger and/or stupidity take over their mind and lack the ability to think rationally. Most of them are lost souls, just leave them alone and let them rot alone and miserable. Misery loves company.

Anyways, i’m black and I dislike the cold, but there are many other whites to hate the cold too. And vice versa…

Those white supremacists are just into this new trend of dressing optimistically.

I’m coming along late here, but as a person of English/Scandinavian ancestry living in New England, I can say that I am completely sick of this cold shit.

#niggasbelike

_.Brrrrr!

:confused:In the US and Canada, neutral is white or gray. Being a black neutral is illogical and dangerous.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Peoples from colder climates are better adapted to those climates. Same with high altitudes, or warm climates.

Maybe in some population-way, but as a 3/4 Scandinavian by way of Minnesota freezing his ass off in the balmy south of New England, I’d disagree.

Nobody likes the cold, but you are slightly better adapted to it than Sicilians are.

There is evidence that groups like the Sherpa have physiological adaptions to living at altitude, and the Inuit/Eskimo have adaptations to cold. It’s not clear that there are any such adaptations to such a broad class as “Blacks” living in the US or the world.

I didn’t say that, and obviously there has been a lot of mixing and moving.

Even for Sherpas and Inuits, though, those adaptations give them only a limited advantage over everyone else. Inuit still wear winter gear, after all, and even Sherpas can get altitude sickness. At a certain point everyone is miserable and/or needs some sort of technology to withstand the environment.

Of course.

Yes, I noticed that as well.
He also seems to have issues with not finding Blacks to be “attractive” and only liking “European looking” women. If he is indeed Filipino, there seems to be some self-hate going here as when I was in the PI in the 80s I didn’t any “European looking Filipinos” but I did a lot mixed raced orphans who were treated like crap.

Go figure.

Anyway,back to the subject at hand: There are sizable Black American populations in the following cities where it gets BITTERLY cold:

[ol]
[li]Grand Rapids,MI[/li][li]Saginaw,MI[/li][li]Buffalo,NY[/li][li]Rochester,NY[/li][li]Cleveland,OH[/li][li]Milwaukee,WI[/li][li]Minneapols,MN[/li][li]Rockford,IL[/li][/ol]

Not to mention New York City,NY, Providence,RI, Newark,NJ, Bridgeport,CT,Toledo,OH,etc.

Good place to stop for a joke… (okay, it dates from the early Richard Pryor era…)

A black man stops and looks despairingly at the sky. “Lord,” he mumbles, “why did you give me this dark, dark skin?” To his surprise, a voice rumbles back at him from above. “To protect you from the searing sun of the Equator, my son.” “But,” the guy goes on, “Why did you give me this tight, kinky hair?” “To keep you from snagging it in branches as you hunt through dense forest, my son.” “And what about this broad, flat nose?” “To help you breathe in steaming jungles, my son.” The black guy nods. “Yeah. Okay. So… what the hell am I doing in Cleveland?

I am sensitive to the cold. They keep my building overly air conditioned (IMHO) and I’m always shivering. I have a pair of gloves that I specifically wear indoors, because it’s really hard to type when you’re constantly warming your hands by sitting on them. I dislike temperatures that are below 50 degrees. I’m miserable when they are below 30. Every year I get chilblains in my toes and fingers due to the cold’s effect on my extremities. So I don’t like the winter and the winter don’t like me.

But despite all the blackness running through my veins, I am just as intolerant of the heat. Actually, I think I’m more intolerant. Whenever the air went out in my office last year, I was the main one complaining. I was irritable and sick-feeling and couldn’t concentrate. My depression is always worse in the dog days of the summer when it’s too hot and humid to go outside for longer than five minutes. In contrast, it can be snowing outside and you’ll still find me moshing along. I’ve lived in Georgia, Florida, New Jersey, and Virginia (where I am now). If I got offered a job in New Jersey, I’d be there in a minute. Georgia or Florida? Um…no. I like visiting Atlanta at Christmas time, and that’s about it. I’ll never go back to Georgia! I’ll never go back!

Black gf: “Black people can’t stand cold”.
Black roommate: “Black people cant’ stand cold”.

Well, that settles it once and for all.

Humans are fantastically complicated animals and we don’t know most of the details. It’s certainly possible and sounds likely that we have a variety of adaptations that occurred recently enough to vary in a statistical way between branches of our family that lived in different conditions. If we wanted to, we could study these, and get statistical answers. Apparently we have.

And yet we often behave in ways that demonstrate we aren’t ready to use the information responsibly. To use cold adaptation as an example, there are all sorts of clues we might get about our cardiovascular system if we find various things about cold adaptation, and understanding our cardiovascular system better could prevent a great deal of suffering. This is a real possibility and a good thing. What some of us have done instead is to take a supposed (and perhaps real) statistical trend, which is a subtle thing, and apply it to a line of reasoning that supports social injustice and shoveling snow in our underwear. This is just as dumb as toast. I see a shorter and clearer line of reasoning that says white people should be kept out of decision making roles because we dress in nothing but underwear and boots to shovel snow. Which I don’t believe either, but it’s certainly a comprehensible line of reasoning. The line of reasoning that I do buy into is that research into human adaptation, which might otherwise have been useful, is unfortunately going to be hijacked for some awfully stupid goals. And therefore sadly there are reasons to consider setting these fields of study aside for future ages who won’t misuse them as badly.

Statistical trends are useful, but not for understanding a single one of us.

Wow…since anecdotes are now facts: I’m Black and I don’t mind cold weather.
Apparently, the 7-8 million African Americans who live in the various cities across the Northern Tier of the US agree with me or simply tolerate it for employment reasons.