Blues Brothers Movie/Music Question

Not sure if this should go here or in GQ… if the Mods really wana move it they can. Anyway here goes, my question is about a small piece of music from the Blues Brothers movie, the band is playing it right before they enter the packed theater, preceading the greatest chase scene of all times. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of this small but great piece of music?

My friend wants it for his wedding reception, when the bridal party walks in… :smiley:

I already tried google and found the script but it didn’t list a name for the “entrance music”.

Are you talking about the music that’s playing while Cab Calloway is introducing the Blues Brothers?

Yea it’s that really fast paced instrumental music, after Cab intros them then they come out and do a little strut and get out the harmonica. That’s what I’m looking for.

I don’t recall the specific piece of music in this scene, but the Blues Brothers intro music was always an instrumental version of “I Can’t Turn You Loose” by Otis Redding…

Elvis has it right if you’re talking about the song Cab Calloway talks over… the song that finishes and everyone in the crowd is just staring at them, right? It’s “Can’t Turn You Loose.”

The Blue Brothers “introduction” music is indeed Can’t Turn You Loose, but it’s about double the tempo of the Otis Redding original. It’s also not the melody, it’s the background rhythm/bass/horn line of the song.

Ok this is gonna be next to impossible to find, the only other place I have ever heard that fast temp version is at the StL Blues games. Maybe I can get a recording from them.

Thanks for your help Elvis and everybody else.

You’re certainly welcome, NPavelka.

[sub]Whadda mean I didn’t do anything. Just shut up![/sub]

it’s on “briefcase full of blues” the first blues brothers release.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000002J5M/qid=1046907789/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-2554776-7016803?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

There’s another rarely mentioned song that sounds a great deal like at least some part of the Blues Brothers theme–it’s called “Time Is Tight” by Booker T and the MGs, and among other places is on the soundtrack for “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”.

I concur with ElwoodCuse. I think “Time is Tight” is what you’re looking for, because both Steve Cropper and Donald “Duck” Dunn were both in the MG’s and part of the early SNL / Blues Brothers band.

Naw, the two songs have the same bass line (both coming from the Stax/Volt Memphis music factory). But Time Is Tight has an organ melody that sounds nothing like the Blues Brothers song. The horn part is absolutely, definitely Can’t Turn You Loose.

Plus, Booker T & the MGs were also the Stax house band, and so would have played on the original “I Can’t Turn You Loose.”

Blues Brothers: The Definitive Collection has it as well.

Murphy Dunne starts playing the organ intro for “Time is Tight” and Cab Calloway talks over that. After Cab says, “The show band of Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues, the Blues Brothers!” the band segues into “I Can’t Turn You Loose”.

“Can’t turn you loose” (the instrumental version) is also on the soundtrack to “Blues Brothers 2000”

I’m imagining the bridal party doing cartwheels down the aisle like Jake did in the James Brown church scene.:eek: