BluRay Question

Hi

I am about to replace a Samsung player (BDJ 6500 WITH WI-FI). It was a refurb and crapped out on me a week ago after about one year’s use.

I have a Netgear router, but my question is: Even with the router, do I still need the replacement’s description to read “With Wifi”?

The description of the LG I want to buy says “streaming services included”, but mentions nothing about having Wi-Fi onboard.

Also, the router we use is only 6 months old.

The Samsung’s problem is it has frozen up on the page one uses to enter the security key.

If this sounds confusing to you, I’m sorry, but I’m totally clueless these days.

Thanks for your help.

Quasi

The new player needs WiFi only if you intend to use streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.) or use the player to access the internet.

You CAN buy a player that doesn’t have WiFi but can be connected to the router via cable, but your router needs to be somewhat close to the player.

“Streaming Services Included” means that the player has apps already installed that are used to easily access streaming services like the examples above.
You don’t have to use them if you don’t need them, but if you do, you need some connection to your router - either via WiFi or a wired (ethernet) connection.

If it says “streaming services included” then it must have some kind of network connection, either wifi or Ethernet. I’d be surprised if there’s a recently manufactured player that has Ethernet but not wifi. As Mind’s Eye, Watering says, if you’re not planning to use any streaming services, it doesn’t matter (to you) whether it has wifi or not. If you do plan to use streaming services, and you don’t want to run a wire from the player to your router, then you will want to make sure it has wifi. It’s not clear to me what you mean by “the security key”, but I’m guessing you’re referring to your network password, in which case you are using wifi and you should make sure the LG has it. If you post the model number you’re buying, someone here will surely be able to confirm it for you.

Just for clarity - the new player will have capability to connect to a network (via wifi or Ethernet), but doesn’t have to unless you want to.

I DO have Netflix and like to watch documentaries from YT, both of which were fine until this player began to freeze up. I do have ethernet cables running from the back of my router and the back of my CPU and modem.

When we got this new modem from Spectrum and because of the ethernet cable, I was thinking that maybe I no longer needed for the player to have wifi onboard.

So I am glad I posted my question here.

Thanks very much!

Q

Your questions about your (quasi)modem are always welcome here!

Wired is better [faster] than wifi. And use a Cat 6e or Cat 7 Ethernet cable which are designed for faster speeds.

With some products these days, you need to buy it to see if it works. So buy it from a local store. Return it if it does not do what you want. (Maybe if they get enough returns, they will figure out they need to say this stuff on the box?)

And for Blu-Ray, it can be essential to be connected to the internet to get “updates” every now and then. The “security” is prone to being updated and you can get that update either through a new disk you play or via the internet.

Nearly all units that have network capability at all include wifi, but you are much better off using a wired connection for video anyway. Just look at the specs (or a manufacturer pic of the rear connections) to make sure it has an Ethernet port, and you should be good.

The main reason network connectivity was ever included in BR players was to enable the “BD Live” features that in theory would seamlessly extend the disc material to newer documentaries, extras and the like. In practice, it became a way to insert ads into menus and front material. I disabled it long ago on our player and it occasionally complains.

I really appreciate all the answers and advice.

Just to recap the way I understand what y’all have written:

The way I have things wired right now (BluRay player being in the bedroom 75 feet away)
means if I get a player which doesn’t mention wifi as being included, I am still okay even if the router is wired by ethernet cable in my office, or do I need to run cable from the router all the way into the bedroom (hardwired) to use the player?

I don’t mean to be so dense, but since I’ll be the one installing this thing and since I no longer drive, I just want to make sure I get it right the first time.

Thanks again

Quasi

The player I am looking at is here: Robot or human?

If the player doesn’t have wifi, then you need to run an Ethernet cable from the player to your router.

Here is the LG page for that player. It specifically states that the player has NO wifi. So you need to either run a cable from the player to your router, or look for a different player that does include wifi.

Okay. Off to buy a BluRay WITH wifi.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.

Q

Or you can use a wireless bridge.

Or, for about the same price as a bridge, get a Roku and forget the streaming features on the Blueray player. The software on the Roku will be much better than the Blueray’s software anyway. All Roku players support wifi.

But for Blu-Ray, internet connection is not just about the streaming capabilities, it’s about firmware updates and DRM. If your Blu-Ray player isn’t getting regular firmware updates from the internet, you may find yourself unable to play newly released DVDs.

Get the one with the WiFi.

Got it up and running and it only took me 2 hours. Reason being, the batteries I bought for the remote didn’t work (we found this out with a neat trick you can do with an android phone), so off we went to the nearest drug store and bought more…

Then the set-up screen kept getting stuck on choosing wireless, so I unplugged everything in 3 places, waited 30 minutes and turned everything back on and everything worked fine after that.

So far the only complaint I have is the very small remote. One has to use one’s fingernails or carefully the tip of the fingers to operate it. In my case, I also need reading glasses because of my macular degeneration.

But I just wanted y’all to know that all is well and thank you once again for the help. I have often said that posting here saves me money and here is just one more example.:wink:

Quasi

Speaking of using your Android Phone–you may be able to install an app that will let you use your phone as a remote. Might be better than using the remote with the small buttons.

I know you can with a Roku. I don’t know what player you have, but check and see if there’s a remote app on Google Play for your player brand and model.