Bob Newhart? I am SO there!

We (The ENTIRE Vena family including sibling families and grandparents) are going on a cruise next Sunday (Carnival Conquest out of Gulfport) and we’re going down to the gulf next Friday.

Well, Friday in Biloxi - Bob Newhart!! Yippee! An American Institution! Tell my mom to go ahead and get tickets for Mr Vena and me.

So I happily tell Mr Vena that we’re going to see Bob Newhart, comedian extrodanaire. AND HE LAUGHS AT ME!

I am so excited and he thinks I’m the biggest loser. I mean, come on! It’s frickin’ Bob Newhart!

So am I terminally freaky for liking Bob Newhart?

Bob Newhart freakin’ ROCKS…

I am kin to you… also, I KNOW I am terminally freaKY and terminal freakiness has a genetic component… therefore you are probably terminally freaky… what this has to do with Bob Newhart (or the price of tea in China, for that matter), I have no clue.

[Bob Newhart] I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means “put down”. [/Bob Newhart]

Bob Newhart is a genius! You are not at all freaky for liking him, and I’m very jealous that you’re getting to see him perform!

Although I’m young enough to have grown up with Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and all of the other trash talking comedienes, I must say that I still enjoy a nice clean act and even more enjoy intellectual humor. Go to Bob and enjoy.

Well, uh…you see, uh…to answer your, your, your, uh…your question, uh…I-I-I-I-I, uh, I’d have to…uh, I’d have to say…uh, I’d say no.

Man! I’d love to see Bob Newhart!

Even in the UK he’s a legend! Go and see him - I’d love to!

I would love to see Newhart. I think the only person I’ve ever seen who even came close to Newhart’s comic timing, deadpan ability and self-deprecation ( I think that’s a word) was Michael J. Fox.

So you going to play “Hi, Bob!” when you see him?

How can I not?
Or even say, Hi I’m Larry, and this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl.

No…he’s a complete genius.
I love the CDs. (I’m too young to have his albums)

No. Bob Newhart is the funniest man EVER! And, apparently, your husband is a country music fan. :wink: (See roadrunner70’s quote.)

Bob Newhart is awe inspiring. Perhaps your husband is only familiar with his TV shows, and isn’t aware of the brilliant and ground-breaking standup comedy that started his career? Buy a copy of The Buttondown Mind and see if that helps.

I remember watching a World War II movie 20-odd years ago. I don’t remember anything else about it, but I still recall Bob Newhart doing one of his very funny “one-sided telephone conversation” bits as a radio operator trying to contact HQ to request reinforcements.

The Newhart show episodewhere he is trying to get Larry, Darryl and Darryl to come get the body out of the inn basement is another classic.

Mr. DeVena is obviously an insensitive lout who isn’t worthy of you, probably a Jerry Lewis fan. :wink:

Newhart is one of the few really innovative comedians of our times. He combines a slightly off-the-center personal style with a cutting apprecation of human nature…all without putdown or obscenities. He is the best comedian of the last 100 years.

Oh…you should go to see him, and remember that those who don’t think he is funny are just wrong.

BTW…I wonder if Bob Newhart could have ever made any of his famous telephone conversations using a cell phone while driving a very large car in traffic…???

I guess things do change. Darn (sometimes)

Tuckerfan: what part of the U.S. are you from? I think no one else knows what you’re talking about. I can remember playing “Hi, Bob!” in college (and beyond) and getting completely wasted. Our requirement was that you had to chug a full can of beer. By the end of the half-hour show, a person really begins to hope that the dentist and the receptionist keep their mouth shut!

Heh, heh, heh. I first heard about it when Newhart was on SNL and they did an absolutely hysterical skit about it (Newhart was screaming constantly, “I don’t agree with the ‘Hi, Bob!’ game. I hate the ‘Hi, Bob!’ game! No one should play the ‘Hi, Bob!’ game.” etc, etc, etc. I happened to be watching the show with a buddy of mine who used to tend bar in Nashville, TN, (I’m 30 miles N. of there) and he was in hysterics because they used to play that in the bar when he worked there.