Bollywood soundtracks

This Sunday I will be seeing the great Hindi/Tamil film music composer, A.R. Rahman in concert here in Toronto. To prep myself, I’ve been listening exclusively to his songs these past few days.

I am in love with the whole Dil Se soundtrack. Many of us have heard Chaiyya Chaiyya, but the other tracks on the soundtrack, especially Dil Se Re, Ae Ajnabi and Satrangi Re, bring me to another world when I listen to them on earphones as his musical compositions are so rich that I just sink into them. Of course I must commend his collaborating lyricists for their work as well.

The thing is, my scope of knowledge in Bollywood music is quite small, although I do know other related non-ARR songs I haven’t mentioned. What else can you suggest I listen to, besides A.R. Rahman’s work, knowing what I like?

If you can find a copy of Kushi, it’s fantastic from what I’ve heard of it. It’s a soundtrack, and I’ve no idea who the artists are on it. I just heard it on a BBC program.

The three volumes of the Golden Voices from the Silver Screen are essential. Volume 3, in particular, is noteworthy for including Jaan Pehechaan Ho, which was featured in the film Ghost World. I own all 3 and they’re great fun.

R. D. Burman is another noted film music composer. There are several collections of performances of his compositions.