Bon Mardi Gras!

Je vous souhaite un très joyeux Mardi Gras!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

<grand sourire>

«Je ne veux pas du réalisme. Je veux de la magie!» - White Woods

Happy Mardi Gras. (The altered signature is amusing!)

Merci Cajun Man

You have a very happy Mardi Gras too.

I wish I was there right now. :slight_smile:

Throw back a drink or two for me - k?

I swear, until I’ve had a couple cups of really strong coffee, this thread title looks like “Ban Mardi Gras!”

But it’s not. Hey man, have fun!

Happy Mardi Gras to you too, CajunMan! and to everyone!

(or something like that)

----:)/ x o x o x
----///\\

Oh, to be sipping cafe au lait and munching beignets at Café du Monde! Or having a good cuppa joe and reading the paper while sitting at an open window at Kaldi’s! Or kickin’ it at Checkpoint Charlie’s and having one of their burgers before shooting some pool and listening to the band! Or listening to the performance at Neutral Ground! Or enjoying some Thai food at Siam Café (or is it Siam House? – Kind of across from the Armory)! Or stumbling along under the influence with The Krewe of Cosmic Debris! Or shooting some pool at the Satelite Bar, just because it’s such a dive! Or walking around, looking at the crumbling old buildings! Or knocking on Marie LaVeau’s (alledged) tomb!

But no. I’m 1,200 miles to the left. Surronded by concrete buildings and concrete freeways and concrete sidewalks and asphalt streets. Surrounded by insular crowds in a place where nobody walks.

Bon Mardi Gras to everyone who is there!

mmm… beignets…

Well, here I am stuck in the upper left-hand corner of our great country, home from school to babysit (yes, my mother plays me truant so she can go to meetings…), while my big sister is down in the Big Easy, sleeping off last night. (No, she wasn’t partying… she was tending bar.) It’s not like I’m old enough to legally do anything anyway if I WERE at Mardi Gras, but…

On the upside, a bunch of people in school think that’s where I am. I told 'em I wasn’t going to be in school today, they said why, I said today was Mardi Gras (true, though it has no relevance for the answer). Tomorrow I think I’ll sleep in, show up late and wear every strand of beads I can dig up in my room from last year. :smiley:

Y’all down there – have fun! Toss back a Hurricane for me…

So what do I have to do to get those beads?

See you at the Cafe DuMonde. (sp?)

Yes, this is something * I’ve * been wondering as well. What exactly does a girl have to do to get some beads? I want 'em bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy Mardi Gras to you too, Cajun. And to everyone!

I’ve still got some beads from last year when I went. :wink:

[sub]Malheureusement, je ne vois rien particulièrement bon environ celui-ci.[/sub]

“Hey, Mister. Throw me sumpthin’.”

Happy Fat Tuesday.

Dave

Mardi Gras is fun, but the drunk college kids pretty much ruin the French Quarter; I prefer the family atmosphere of St. Charles Avenue, plus it’s easier to catch throws there.
Luckily, my mom live in Laplace, so I can go to N’awlins whenever I visit. I’ll definitely time the next visit for Jazzfest.

And you know what this means? A night of debauchery and then nothing - nothing - but fasting and gloom for weeks.

::shrug::

Well, that’s nothing new.

:smiley:

I hear ya! I avoided New Orleans this year, but did go to the Spanish Town parade in Baton Rouge for the first time. It was a blast! 15 min. drive to a parking lot that was a 10-15 min. walk away from the route. It was a much friendlier crowd compared to what I’ve seen in N.O. and I caught plenty of throws.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:
:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :confused:

What you should do is go to some of the other parades in other towns during the day and with your booty go to N.O. to trade with your new friends.

Having lived in Jefferson Parish, I prefer the pa-rades down Veterans’ Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. The marching band & drill team from my high school (Riverdale) are in practically all of those. With my height advantage, after the first year I eschewed beads and tried for the cups instead. I once caught a cup at the same time as a smaller fellow. My hand was near the rim & his was on the bottom. Because I already caught a cup earlier that night, I let him have that one.

Boobies, ladies. It’s all about showin’ them boobies.

I’m sure some of the guys around here will be happy to throw you some beads in exchange for a free shot! :smiley:

( o )( o ) ( o )( o ) ( o )( o ) ( o )( o ) ( o )( o )

:wink:

Wow. That’s quite lovely Mermaid. Tossing you a strand of beads.

Dave