Bono is knighted

Bono, lead singer of the rock group U2, was named Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire on Thursday in an informal, laugh-filled ceremony in the Dublin home of British Ambassador David Reddaway. Reddaway paid tribute to Bono’s work as a campaigner against poverty and disease in Africa

Because he is an Irish citizen, Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, won’t have the title of “sir” before his name. That honorific is reserved for citizens of the United Kingdom and British Commonwealth.

Bono joked that his 5 year old son was disappointed he wasn’t presented with a light saber. Bono cracked, “He thought I was becoming a Jedi.”

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1604998,00.html

Gee, from the thread title, I thought a deceased singer was receiving a posthumous award from “across the pond”. :smiley:

I think that’s awesome. I really like Bono. And he deserves it.

He’s a great singer and songwriter, and perhaps more importantly, one of those truly GOOD people who cares about the world, has the power to change it for the better, and actually DOES. Bully for him!

I’ve met Bono several times in Dublin but I barely spoke to him.

That said, his secondary school math teacher lived across the road from me in Dublin. As he put it, Bono was lucky he made it in music.

Decent songwriter but otherwise his holier-than-thou attitude kinda puts me off particularly when his company just moved from Ireland to dodge even more taxes.

Larry Mullins’ former music teacher had this to say about him when he was young

Have to say I share your “mehness” about this. It’s a meaningless title, given to a good singer who loves himself a ‘little’ too much. The whole tax thing bugged me a lot as well. He talks the talk all right but when it comes to his own money that’s a different story.

So because he maximizes the amount he keeps to spend on causes he deems important, that’s bad? Is there any question about the man’s sincerity and dedication to the cause of eradicating poverty?

He also bangs on about how much Ireland means to him and how he loves living here. Well IMO he should then pay his fair share of taxes to the state. I have to and I’m not a millionaire 100’s of times over.

They are tax exempt as a band as artists are given that here. Other companies the band have set up have now had their accounts routed through A’dam to minimise the tax take.

Geez, some people in here act like somebody pissed in their lemonade. Bono’s not a saint, but he’s one of the nicest megalomaniacal multi-millionaires in the world today, so I say good for him.

I guess it’s his preachiness. He’s done some good but so have a lot of people. I genuinely believe he thinks of himself as a Christ-like figure. I find that both disturbing and annoying. YMMV.

A knighting ceremony no longer involves kneeling to be tapped on the shoulder with a sword? Since when? And I thought only the queen could perform the ceremony; there’s no mention of her being there.

I’ll second that. He has never claimed to be a saint–far from it–and, although I don’t know if he will succeed in his efforts and causes in Africa, I hope he proves me wrong.

Where did you get the notion he thinks of himself at all seriously as a Christ-like figure? Just curious.