Bowlers - brag about your best scores here!

I was on my college bowling team.(Low man, but still on the team.) One year I was feeling very cocky. We were ranked in the top ten and had a big tourny coming up. During spring break I went to visit my grandparents. While I was there I would practice every morning at the local alley. One morning my grandfather goes with me. He hadn’t bowled in three years. He was 67. He proceeded to clean my clock. He rolled a 680 series against me. His first open frame that morning was in the 7th frame of the third game. Talk about deflated. Needless to say, he gloated about it for the next ten years.

But, that’s not all.

I come home. That Sunday I once again go to practice with my father. He hasn’t picked up a ball in 5 years, had a heart condition, and was 43. He rolled a 750 series against me. I only got killed in two series that year and both of them were my relatives. Sheesh!

On a happier note, that spring I also picked up a 7-10 split. (Still got the patch to prove it)

We also came in fourth in the National Collegiate Tourny.

Milossarian wrote:

LOL! Not even close! Those gals can bowl! I bowled a ladies’ scratch tournament in January. No cash, as usual. I have this tendency somewhere in the set to wrap both hands around my throat and squeeze…

Last night I subbed (FYI - I bowled in place of a regular league member who couldn’t be there) and I shot a 123 my first game. A 123. I was so embarrassed. I came back with a 169 (oh joy!) and a somewhat redeeming 215. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in the 6th frame of the 3rd game. We still lost all the games.

Speleophile wrote:

My husband’s scratch team did that, too. Except they put up $1 each every frame. The pot could get up to $40 or $50, IIRC. Other games we play are “pushing quarters” and poker. When you push quarters, everybody puts up a quarter. Everytime someone strikes (or spares, on lower average teams), you push a quarter. The fifth strike (on a 5-man team) wins a quarter from the other players. In poker, there are lots of ways to play, but basically you draw a card for every mark (strike or spare). The best poker hand wins. Some rules say you can keep all your cards, and other rules say you can only have 5 cards in your hand at one time. We bowlers love to gamble!

Speleophile wrote:

I know what you mean. My husband and I quit smoking this New Year’s, and it seems everybody smokes. Funny how we didn’t notice before!

Persephone:

The night of my 245, I was so excited driving home (about 12 miles, between two towns) to tell people, I lost control on an icy curve and got stuck in a snowbank. Had to wait about an hour to get yanked out.

Revedge - I picked up a 4-7-10 in my last league, two years ago. That was pretty cool.

My bowling team in high school finished fourth in the state, out of third by 7 pins. Missed a trip to Vegas to bowl by like 100 or so pins. I was the “handicap bowler” then. My average was only like 108.

I participated in a Bowling “Team Building” last week with my department. I bowled 5 games: 82, 83, 96, 85, 126.

Wheeee!

I average about 170 and my highest game ever was a 257. Freak occurrence, since I didn’t screw up a mark somewhere. My highest series was about a 610 (I didn’t bowl three games the night of the 257, I was just out bowling with some friends) I’m very erratic when I bowl, which is why my average is a 170. One week it’s all 190-200 range, the next week I can’t break 150. One time I even bowled under 100, just couldn’t make any spares. Boy was I embarassed.

I once bowled an 11.

yes, that’s right, 11 pins in 10 frames. You almost have to work at it, but I swear I was really trying to knock the suckers down (and no, I wasn’t a child, I was 21 at the time).

I think I’m the only person in Michigan who has never bowled on a league (wonder why?). I may be in violation of several state laws.

High game: 263 (my first real “In The Zone” experience. My twin brother and I have an ongoing competition for highest game. Seems like each time I best his, he’ll call the next week or two and top it. Well, THIS ONE has stood awhile! :slight_smile: )
High series: 623
Average: 169

I’ve been bowling on and off since age 12, and on a regular league for the last four years. God Bless Resin!

I had a good night last night. (Won’t mention the 1st game), second and third were 193/197. Had a rough start to the season, so now I’m doing a bit better than the average I established…usually bowling one or two 190 - 200 games each week and the average moves up only a pin or two. I have that happen a lot, too, c-goat, (okay, the first game last night was a 153). :rolleyes:

Last night was position night and our team did well (won two games and totals) and we jumped from 7th to 4th place in the league (16 teams).

Best stories of the year–got to watch our anchor bowler, Joe, bowl not one, but TWO 300 games this year…on lanes that have given up VERY FEW 300 games.

Thanks for letting me share!

Paul

Oohhhhh…wring :frowning: …better get over to the Union basement and start practicing (thumb goes in the larger hole) :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, though, you probably ought to head east on 69 and don’t stop 'til your safely over the Bluewater and into Canada–I understand the guys over at the MBCC (Michigan Bowling Compliance Corps) are pretty savvy about finding and hunting down you scofflaws. Then again, we may have an opening on our league…

Paul (Sparty On!)

[hijack]BTW, wring, I have a friend, Donnavon Webb, who grew up in Perry (small town, wondering if you’re from there and know him or Gail?) [/hijack]

::reaching for “It’s A Small World” 45 again::

** Oddly enough I was at the Union basement when I racked up that score. do they still have it posted? :smiley:

Believe me, I’m careful - I even pass by several lanes when traveling to and from work. RE: the hijack, nope, don’t know anyone in Perry - except the School Superintendant (I had to meet her to get her to sign off on allowing my son to stay in the Lansing School District - I had him punk up first, she took one look at him and signed off…)

By the way, some people don’t take politely to being reminded of that song (fortunately for you , I’m not one of them)

I don’t go bowling very often, and I usually bowl 120 or so. My high score is 141, but the scoring computer goofed and credited me with a spare when I really left a pin standing, so it’s really 130-something.

Kinda had a feeling about that – I took the bowling class there. (Yes, they teach Bowling at MSU…you all thought I was kidding about the MBCC?!?) Worst lanes I’ve ever seen in my life (and that was back in '88).

Hey - maybe we should make Persephone’s Michigan Dopefest a bowling Dopefest? “Stray Dorkers” would make a good team name, too, wouldn’t it? :slight_smile: (refering to Astroboy’s thread)

Paul

When I bowled regularly I carried a 165 average. Being Mr. Consistency my night usually went 130/235/130. It was great for the high handicap side pots, though. I could just about count on winning one pot each week. High series was 650 and included one game of ~180. Yep, Mr. Consistency.

Nope, you’re not the only one. Guess we’ll both have to make a run for it!

I think I had a 15 once, but I was 5 or 6 years old.

I did bowl a 190-something once or twice, usually I average around 120 or 130.

wring and mrblue92:

No, I don’t think you’re actually in violation of any laws yet, because you see, you have actually bowled. As long as you bowl sometimes, it’s okay for you to stay here. But you have to join at least one league before you reach the age of 50. If you don’t, you get banished to Ohio.

Me, on the other hand, well…I’ve lived in Michigan all my life. I was born and raised here. But never have I ever played a single hand of euchre. Not one. I don’t know how, and I don’t care to learn.

How’s that for breaking Michigan law? :smiley:

** uh oh. I don’t have that much time left. Doesn’t it count that my SO was on a team for like 15 years?? can’t we share it???

:eek:

1. Low on #11, left the 7. Coulda gone, but I didn’t deserve it. I have to thank my team for not letting me obscess on the game, since Mike, who averages in the low 200s, and has shot 300/756, was shooting 163, and I had to worry about winning, we were up only 10 going into the 10th.

Persephone-

I can’t say this strongly enough –

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Paul

::walks away, shaking head::