Boxes in Crafter man`s posts.

Any one else see boxes in Crafter_Man`s posts ???

Is it just me or is it on his end?

I’m guessing it’s the smart quotes which your browser can’t handle.

“ left
” right

Like that.

Ethilrist picked it in one. IE shows it properly. Just goes to show there are some advantages in using products from Satan Bill, after all. :wink:

The hell???

I`m using IE and it only happens in HIS posts though. And it just started a couple of weeks ago.

How may I rectify this?

I assume you can see the quotes in Ethilrist’s post.

What about these: “ ” ?

Nope, just boxes.

I went to a different work station and they came up just fine.
What gives?

I changed the settings to what Knotty 1 uses and it didn`t work.

I was using-- New Times Roman/Courier New/Latin Based. I`ve got IE version 5.5.

Now, I`ve put the settings from “Ariel” back to “Times New Roman” and everything works.

What the hell was going on?

Seems to work ok now…

Thanks for the help, I guess.

I don’t know. The only mainstream browser I’ve ever seen it not work in is the obsolete Netscape Navigator. Most current browsers support it.

Then there’s these quotes:

 and 

:slight_smile:

Or the anti-Satan itself, Apple. Safari reads it fine. :cool:

What quotes? I see boxes on those.

quote:

Originally posted by Ethilrist
Then there’s these quotes:

 and 

What quotes? I see boxes on those.

Yeah, me too.:wink:

Hmmm, never been over here! And a thread with my name on it! :cool:

Here are two quotes when cutting & pasting from MS Word: “brown fox”

Here are two quotes when typing directly in the reply window: “brown fox”

Whenever I post, I always cut and paste from MS Word. This is because it has a spell-checker. :wink: But I guess the funky quotes can cause problems with some interpreters.

wats a spel chequer?

I see a tiny little 8 above a tiny little 1. What is it supposed to look like?

Here are two quotes when cutting & pasting from MS Word: “brown fox”
Here are two quotes when typing directly in the reply window: “brown fox”

I cut and pasted the above from your post and the words “brown fox” from MS Word have boxes around them. Still!

Ah heck! Now I see a tiny little 1 inside a circle. Apparently Netscape 7 handles it differently on Windows 98 and Windows 2000. Now I’m really curious as to what it’s supposed to be.

whuckfistle, there will always be boxes, no matter how many times you copy and paste it. The curly quotes are not regular quotes that somehow remember that they came from MS Word, that you have to make forget this fact. They are different characters.

Incidentally, it’s easy to turn off the curly quotes in Word. I don’t have the application handy, but do a help search on “disable smart quotes”. I personally don’t like the way they look, but you may also want to disable them if they make your text hard to read.

I just see two question marks. I’m using Mozilla 1.3 in Debian Linux. The other quotes look normal to me.

Tools > AutoCorrect Options > AutoFormat As You Type tab > clear “Straight quotes” with “smart quotes” under Replace as you type.

At my computer here at home everything looks like its supposed to. Stupid work computer!!