Boys vs. Girls, devolpmentally speaking

In my other thread, Help, my son is a computer geek, Opalcat said that her son is not yet fully potty trained at the age of four. My son didn’t get out of diapers until he was well past three and couldn’t (wouldn’t?) talk until then, either. In fact, most of the little boys I know followed the same schedule, while the little girls were pretty much dry & chatting away by 2 1/2.

All of my parenting books say that boys will do these things about 2 months behind girls, on average. Seems more like 2 years to me! Is this 2 month figure some kind of conspiracy to make mothers of boys feel inadequate? Or are we just reporting inaccurate information to who ever collects this data because we are too ashamed to share the truth? Please share your anecdotes, WAGs, whatever!

BTW, I didn’t know if this belonged in General Questions, but it felt more like MPSIMS to me, so that’s where I’m sticking it.

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” Albert Einstein

My three-year-old son talks better than my five-year-old daughter. All three of my boys were fully potty-trained by age three (three-and-a-half at the latest), but my daughter wasn’t reliably trained until she was at least four-and-a-half. Of course, my daughter may be the exception to the rule. The friends I have who have both sons and daughters swear that their daughters were the easiest to potty train and were talking at a much earlier age than their sons.

Shadowfox

Shadowfox - I’m really only looking for posts that validate my theory, but thanks for your time. :slight_smile:

BTW, 4 kids, I’m impressed! I used to want 6, but then I found out that I’m just not very good at this whole parenting business, thus the need to ask parenting advice from complete strangers on the internet.

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.” Albert Einstein