[QUOTE=Omniscient]
A somewhat off-topic follow-up question.
Everyone seems to frown on the idea of bringing your own parts to a shop but I don’t know why. In my experience there’s a sizable mark-up on most parts costs (or they just don’t comparison shop online) compared to what I am able to find with a quick google-fu. A standard part like brakes seems ideal for this type of thing. I have a mechanic that will spec out the specific parts for me so that I can order them myself. I can usually save upwards of 40% on parts costs, significant when you’re talking about a labor-minimal job like replacing a pair of O2 sensors, and the only burden is that it’ll take a week to get them delivered versus my mechanics same-day dropoffs/pickups.
[/QUOTE]
The pricing of auto repair has a long tradition of including markup on parts as some of the profit. This has kept the labor rates significantly lower than than they should/would be if all the profit had to come from the labor charges.
The pricing also traditionally has two components, labor and parts. This is for bookkeeping purposes - it makes it easy to track productivity and compute non-salary mechanics’ pay, some states have tax on parts and materials but not on labor, etc. But the two components are integral parts of the whole, and are not intended to be sold separately. Savvy shop owners realize this, and are no more inclined to sell only the labor portion of the job at the normal profit-expected-from-parts labor rate than you would be inclined to buy only the parts from them at their normal profit-expected-from-parts parts price.
While the price of auto repair seems high to most laymen, very few in the field are getting rich. Most make a decent living, and some don’t even achieve that. There’s a lot of overhead in auto repair - tools, equipment, information, training, as well as universal business expenses like rent, utilities, insurance, etc. A certain amount of profit is needed for the shop to stay in business. Whatever they don’t get from the traditional parts markup would have to be gotten from higher labor rates, or the shop would cease to exist.
I sell a whole job, parts and labor, and guarantee it. If you want to provide the parts, I’m going to figure a different (higher) labor charge that reflects that. I have no incentive to do work where the profit potential is about half of normal. And I’m not going to guarantee it, because I have no control over nor responsbility for parts I don’t provide.
And that’s if I agree to do it that way at all. Beyond the financial aspect, having a customer provide parts can be frought with problems. If my supplier sends me a wrong part, I can usually get that rectified within minutes or hours. Customer gets wrong parts, and it can take one or more days for him to straighten it out (it may not have happened to you, but it happens, I assure you). Meanwhile the disassembled car is occupying space and possibly preventing my working on something that generates income. I don’t need this kind of hassle.
Then there’s warranty. If the part you provide fails, your supplier will replace it free, but you’re going to pay me a second time to do the work, and you’ve got to do the legwork acquiring the new part and returning the faulty one. And it’s possible to have a situation where the parts supplier claims the part wasn’t defective, but was installed improperly, while the service provider claims it was installed properly but was defective. Then you’re caught in the middle. My customers don’t need this kind of hassle. If I do a complete job and there’s a problem, it doesn’t matter if it’s a parts problem or a labor problem, because it’s all me, and I’m going to rectify it.
So there’s nothing to be gained by me from a customer providing parts, and not much to be gained by the customer (since he’ll pay a "bring-your-own-parts labor rate), while there’s risk of a fair amount to be lost by either or both of us. If you have a mechanic who lets you provide parts yet charges only as much for labor as if he provided them, you’re lucky. And he’s a fool.