Breaker, breaker, good buddy...

Okay, calling all truckers…What does the phrase “Air Ride Equipped” printed on the side of tractor trailer trucks mean? I assume it refers to some aspect of the truck or trailer that handles, or treats cargo better than non - Air Ride Equipped vehicles. But what is it and why do I, as a consumer, care about this? I often see it printed on U-Haul and other such rental trucks (so it must have some benefit to the consumer), but I just as frequently see it on the trucks of commercial carriers who’s customers are generally other commercial entities (manufacturers, etc.). So, why would it be important to advertise this feature to consumers…the people to whom their vehicles are most visible?

Air ride is just a type of suspension system that provides a much better ride for the cargo and driver. It uses bags of air instead of springs, it was first used on trucks that carried electronics (Trade Shows) and moving vans because of the importance of a softer ride for these items. It is now much more common and I guess it would be preferable for any fragile or sensitive cargo.

I worked for a moving company for many years and I asked the same question when I was first hired on. I was looking at the undercarriage of one of our rust covered, dilapidated trailers when I asked, “how can we call this Air-Ride, I don’t see any air bags attached to the suspension?” A vice-president of the company spoke up and responded, “the tires are filled with air, right?”

An Air-Ride trailer does make a huge difference when your household goods are at stake. In layman’s terms, the axles of the trailer are equipped with an air bag that makes for a much smoother ride. (Obviously something that was missing from our fleet) If you are in the U.S. Military and are shipping your household, your mover is required to come equipped with an Air-Ride suspension, take a look under the trailer and see if you can spot 'em. If not, ask the driver if he can identify the Air-Ride :slight_smile:

iirc ‘good buddy’ is now reserved for homosexuals - no longer friendly cb trucker type folks.

I hate to hijack this convoy, but…
After doing some further checking, k2dave is completely correct in the change in trucker slang.

How, why and when did the definition change?

I have to admit it brings new meanings to the dialog in “Smokey and the Bandit”, making it akin to the Flintstones having a “gay old time” in the 60’s.