Britain begins human vaccine trials for Covid-19.

I sure hope the so called experts in the US are awake and paying attention. IMHO other countries should be cooperating and running simultaneous trials with the Brit scientists. A larger study will yield more meaningful results.

The world may beat this damn virus yet. Humanity has the resources if the countries work together.

Do you seriously believe that “so-called” experts aren’t aware of the current state of research? They are aware.

There are currently multiple human clinical trials in flight. Here’s one tracker by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine; they are tracking seven candidates in Phase 1 trials and one candidate in Phase 1 + 2 trials:

https://vac-lshtm.shinyapps.io/ncov_vaccine_landscape/

That is indeed a hopeful update, but I too am confused by the snarky aside about so-called experts. Can you really not conceive of any other explanation for not testing this immediately on everyone besides complacency?

I’m no expert on vaccines but I assume at this point there are multiple potential vaccines in the process of development and those most successful in small-scale testing will be subjected to larger-scale testing.

A possible Covid-19 vaccine developed by a research team at Oxford University is now undergoing trials in human volunteers. The researchers hope to have one million doses ready by September if trials are successful.

I saw this and I am hopeful, but at best this is still how many months away? 4 or more at the fastest I think.

Thanks for merging, Colibri. I was going to report my thread.

Merged two threads on the same subject.

Colibri
QZ Moderator

I can only hope a vaccine is found in.

Society can’t function indefinitely hiding at home and wearing masks outside. The six foot distance rule is almost impossible to follow. I saw a social experiment on the news. A guy fastened a six foot hoop around his waist. Then tried walking on a public sidewalk. His hoop was bumping into people constantly. It clearly demonstrated that a six foot bubble around us is untenable.

A vaccine is humanity’s only hope. I don’t want to live in a world the way it is now. It’s not really living. We’re existing.

Humans are social creatures. We need social interaction and our lives are diminished without it.

A vaccine was previously thought to be a year to 18 months away. A vaccine by September could help to prevent a second wave of the disease.

Not really. It would need FDA testing trials and approval. If it got that, it would take months to set up production and distribution. We cant simply shut down production of other vaccines. The massive number of doses required would be a challenge to produce in the best of times. Also, with the apparent different clades of the virus, we need to test to make sure that it protects against all of them. And that the virus doesnt mutate.

You don’t have to walk down the street at a distance of 6’ from everyone you pass. You gotta wear a mask, and don’t have prolonged exposure to anyone within 6’ of you. Prolonged exposure is “greater than a few minutes” according to the CDC, like when you’re waiting in line. If you walk past someone AND you’re both wearing masks AND/OR nobody coughs or sneezes, you’re fine to be within 6’.

Note that the “Fall 2020” timeline comes with a caveat. Grossly oversimplifying:

Phase 1: Test that the vaccine does not seriously harm people
Phase 2: Test that the vaccine provides some benefit
Phase 3: Test that the vaccine provides a benefit that is better than what is currently available (in the COVID-19 case, that the vaccine provides a benefit better than doing nothing/placebo).

Phase 3 is where the extensive and time-consuming testing is usually done on a larger scale. The September timeline proposes that the vaccine’s testing get through Phase 1 and part/all of Phase 2. If the data looks promising, the proposal is that it be released for emergency use while Phase 3 is conducted. In this scenario, you have to weigh the risks of taking a vaccine that has only undergone limited testing against the risk of going about your life without taking a vaccine at all.

Better to have something as a limited option rather than nothing at all, of course.

The original Salk polio vaccine was only about 70% effective (against poliovirus type 1), and only about 70% of the US child population was vaccinated, which was still good enough herd immunity (~50%) to stop the epidemic outbreaks almost completely. However, because of the commitment to the Salk vaccine (and somewhat ironically due to the Cutter Labs incident in which batches of the vaccine totaling over 100,000 doses in which the virus was not properly inactivated) the United States medical establishment resisted the Sabin trivalent oral vaccine that was far more effective for over five years. (It didn’t help that the testing was done in Mexico and the Soviet Union, and Sabin was recognized by the Soviet Union for his work.) It is unclear what level of herd immunity, if any, will be sufficient to protect the population at large by stopping epidemic outbreaks. Given the contagiousness of the pathogen and its ability to be hosted by domestic cats, it may require nearly universal inoculation to stop it from re-emerging in repeated epidemics.

A vaccine that would limit the spread of SARS-CoV-2 even if it were not perfect would be desirable just from the standpoint of reducing the uncertainty of asymptomatic carriers. However, it is important that the vaccine is shown to do essentially no harm, and especially important that it is verified to not actually make the virus more virulent which can happen in what is called antibody-dependent enhancement, and actually did occur with both the SARS-CoV(-1) and MERS-CoV viruses. So running safety and preliminary efficacy trials are crucial to ensuring that the problem isn’t made worse through bad interventions. The larger Phase 3 efficacy trial is important to confirm those results while ensuring that of the possible options (and with SARS-CoV-2, there may be several) is both the most effective and easiest to deploy, particularly if it turns out that some vaccines may only offer immunity for a limited duration.

Stranger

It’s also possible, of course, that multiple vaccines will be effective and approved, but one may be more effective than the other in different situations, or for different patients (for instance, patients with allergies).