British slang: why is a fight called a "Barney"?

Well they know who Ruby Murray is - and Todd Sloane, so it’s a fair bet they know who Barney Rubble is. The are televisions in London you know - and rationing finished some time ago, so you can get all the jellied eels you can eat (or indeed go for a ruby, you could have a Brittney with it!)

I knew there were televisions in London, of course. It’s just that the UK gets shows we’ve never heard of, and vice versa. The Flintstones were a stone-age ripoff of The Honeymooners, which may have lost something in translation. Fred and Barney were voice-over artists doing Jackie Gleason and Art Carney, twenty years later.

Even though the Bow Bells don’t? Blasphemy!

The term ‘donnybrook’ comes from the name of a suburb of Dublin known for its violent yearly fairs.

Of course, to a cockney it’s pronounced “Laaaahndon”.

I always thought it was a reference to the conflict between Barnabas and Paul (Acts 15:36-40)

The Lithuanian word Barnis, plural Barniai, which would be pronounced barney, means quarrel. There would have been Lithianian immigrants into East London at the end of the 19tb century, many Jewish, but not all.

I can find no confirmation; indeed most reputable sources say the origin is unknown, but I alway assumed that it was a corruption of Barnet Fair, which is an annual horse and pleasure fair held in Barnet, England, on the first Monday in September. This fair, which began in 1588 could be pretty rowdy. So Barnet - Barney would not be hard.

Barnet Fair (reduced by hemiteleia to barnet) is better known as the origin of Cockney rhyming slang for hair.