Building a new computer with RGB

I’m not intending it to look like a unicorn got high on acid then threw up all over my rig but it seems you can’t avoid having a few things on your build that are RGB so I hvae a few questions. If you want to see the parts I’m looking at I’ll be happy to share but these are more general questions.

Fans: Looking at around 6 case fans of which 3 will be on the AIO cooler. But there’s only like 2 or 3 fan headers on the mobo. What do you do when you have more fans than headers? Especially if RGB?

RGB: How do you get all of the parts to talk to each other? I don’t mean just connection-wise but software-wise too, since everything has it’s own software: coolers, case, PSU, mobo, RAM, etc. I know the answer is “ASUS AURA” which doesn’t really help since I’m looking at a Aorus board that uses RGB Fusion. Is it as simple as just plugging everything into the mobo? If so, then where is there room for everything? (see above) Even if I put everything in the mobo, will my NZXT cooler still say, “No! I want to use MY software.”

I don’t know about the RGB stuff (I don’t want my PC looking like a Hong Kong bordello, so I haven’t yet allowed it into my house), but there are fan controllers that can be used to … um, control fans.

i take it rgb no longer stands for red-green-blue? rather, in your case specific, it stands for ‘robust-graphic-boost’ … as in punking out computer case mods?

z390-aorus-xtreme might be your answer … linked with “rgb-fusion” software … and your choice of peripherals? the mobo sports multiple fan-headers … and, of course, rgb-fusion software will (purportedly) orchestrate the amalgamation.

i had no idea this was a thing … check out the links below.

These three will run off the same controller.

I actually just did a PC build for 2019, and on the fan header question, you can get a variety of 2-to-1 and 3-to-1 adapters on Newegg or Amazon (links go to two examples of PWM splitters).

I have a 3-to-1 for the cpu water pump and 2 radiator fans going all to one PWM fan header, and various 2-to-1’s elsewhere for similar reasons.

I wish I could help you on the RGB, but I turned all the RGB off on my build. Which is rankest heresy, especially on a water-cooled rig, but that’s just how I roll, baby. To my chagrin, I can’t turn off the GPU blinkenlights, because it’s a Linux build and NVIDIA doesn’t play well enough with Linux to give you that level of control.

If you do find out a good answer, I hope you post back to this thread and let us know, though!

You might want to look into LED based color organ setups. Mikes place near fans, IO, sound cards etc could get interesting. With the move to SSD’s, drives are less fun than they used to be. I bet the monitor output also puts out some funny ultrasonics as the screen changes. Might be worth building an ultrasound detector to find out what modern devices put out noise, and at what frequencies.
Your phone will probably give you a pretty good FFT up to at least 20kHz. That’s ultrqsound to us old guys. Poke the phone around inside your comp., and see what you pick up.

As far as I know, it still stands for “red green blue,” but refers to RGB lighting being added to components. The lighting is often built into the component, and can be controlled in software, allowing the lighting to all coordinate and make effects.

The lighting just contains red, green, and blue LEDs, which can be controlled to make different colors and patters. It can wind up looking like a rave.

I personally think it’s entirely silly. But, if you want to know more, you should check out the YouTube channel Linus Tech Tips. It’s just common in high end “gamer” builds.

Even Walmart’s new gaming PCs added RGB lighting to try and get more gamer appeal.

I agree.

It’s very good for showing off - at exhibitions and the like. Some custom PCs are works of art.