Bunker full of 1,000 bikes. WTF?

I just read the article carefully. That spot along the river is not even 4 miles from my childhood house. In OC.

When talking to people from all over the world, everything from about Santa Barbara to Delmar and the shore to Palm Springs is “LA”. Talking to folks from the western states or California or So Cal or LA, SD, Riverside, or San Bernardino counties it makes sense to get more precise, maybe even as far as the town if it’s big enough. For somebody from OC itself I might even refer to a neighborhood rather than a whole city. At least that’s my habit.

But yeah, LA weird & OC weird are (or at least were) different. I attended college in LA proper.

Very true!

I think most homeless in L.A. congregate to downtown and nearby areas, where a bike isn’t as needed, and in fact could be more of a burden. In OC, it makes more sense for the homeless to have a bike.

Why there were 1,000 in a Santa Ana River tunnel is a mystery I’d like to see answered, though.

I could probably make, like 23 working bikes from all those parts!

Where did you go to high school? I went to La Quinta.

HS was Estancia. College was USC.

I swam and played water polo. I remember a HS inland somewhere near GG hosted a major regional swim meet each year. That name is extra familiar for some reason. Was it La Quinta? This would have been early to mid '70s.

You guys had the cutest girls in the OC. :slight_smile:

La Quinta is a block north of Mile Square Park on the corner of Edinger and McFadden. We were famous for our baseball team. I ended up at UCLA.

Yeah, IIRC they were pretty hot. Young too. :slight_smile: Newport Harbor or Corona del Mar gave ours a run for their money though.

The HS with the swim meet was near/in the hills; Orange, Yorba Linda, etc. So not you.

“La Quinta”, huh. What does that mean? A bottle of whiskey? Or protection from self-incrimination?

It’s Spanish for “Still near the freeway, but nicer than Motel 6.” :slight_smile:

In the 1985 movie Day of the Dead, our heroes are stuck in some kind of underground base while zombies chew their way through civilisation as we know it. A base with endless miles of motor homes and speed boats stockpiled therein. This guy is on the same wavelength I think.

There was an episode of American Pickers that featured someone I know that hoards motorcycles. He probably has about that many stored in multiple buildings. He used to fix my dirt bike when I was a kid but I had no idea about the full extent of his obsession. The irritating thing was that he would not sell anything to them even for a fair price. It really is a compulsion that some people have. Don’t even get me started on someone I know that has the entire downstairs of their house dedicated to thousands of large dolls in weird poses. There are “trails” that you have to follow to make it anywhere. You can get in really deep on just about anything.

Pedalphilia can be a crippling obsession.