BunnyGirl

When do you start the new job?

(almost afraid to ask)
Will we still hear from you? :frowning:

(I know you post from work)

*kisses,
Kelli *

Hey, Kel, thanks for asking. I start my new job next Monday, the 20th. I should be able to post from work, probably only on my lunch hour though would be my guess. The company I’m going to work for is a software company that specializes in accounting software. They are one of the few accounting packages to run on Macs as well as PCs. Gee, maybe I’ll actually have a sound card in my PC so I can listen to my CD’s! That’d be like a dream from heaven! I’ll keep everyone posted. I’m really going to try and get a computer for home next year but we can’t afford it right now. We’re trying really hard to get some money stored up in savings and a few minor bills paid off. Progress is being made but it’s slow, of course. When we do get around to getting a computer, I’m going to pick the brains of all our resident “geeks” here on the board, not to mention those at my new job. Anyone have any information on the care and training of Geeks? I’ll be dealing with programmers and etc at my new job! :smiley:

Care and training of geeks:

Do not expose to direct sunlight
Water with Diet Coke at least three times a day
Do not attempt to feed or fertilize; keep food-supply lines open, and, after feeding, the remains will be left to compost
Never talk to. Always e-mail.

Now that the jokes are done, what, exactly, is your position going to be? I am a programmer, and I can tell you what to avoid in order to keep them in your good graces, but I’ll need to know more specifics.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

CM, here’s the full scoop from my offer letter:

There’s the speal. Pretty much basic office stuff. Part of the Executive Team is the guy who started the company who heads R&D now; only about 15 people in the office with the rest in other states (sales etc). Very casual office: jeans, chinos etc. Sales guy from California was in when I interviewed and he was wearing shorts and sandals.

What’s your advice? My guess is:
[ul]1. Get to the point when you talk to them.
2. Don’t interuppt all the time and if you do, see #1
3. Feed them and they’ll follow you anywhere (kind of like stray animals???) :wink:
4. Don’t get hyper-emotional about things.
5. Like you said, e-mail.[/ul]
Any more???

That takes care of Monday. What about the rest of the week?

Accounting software for a Mac? No self-respecting accountant would ever touch a Mac. Macs are for tie-dyed shirt wearing, long-haired creative types. We accountants like IBM PCs, especially the ones with monocrome amber screens and dual 5.25 floppies

Does anyone know if Lotus 123 ver 2.1 is Y2K compliant? If not what about Multiplan?

In the Mac Lab at El Camino College, Torrance, CA, was this two-panel cartoon:
(Surrounded by fluffy clouds) “Welcome to heaven. Here’s your Mac.”
(Surrounded by flames) “Welcome to hell. Here’s your IBM.” :wink:

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge

I must file an amended post:

Monocrome = monochrome

Exactly! The Grateful Dead use their/our software. Thank you for the fine example.

Your welcome BunnyGirl.

I have a confession to make though, I do own a genuine tie-dyed shirt from a Grateful Dead concert (my sister bought it for me) and a Grateful Dead CD (“In The Dark”). I wear the shirt on casual days when the boss is out of town.

Peace on Earth = Purity Of Essence

Well, in addition to your pretty-accurate guesses, here are some more tips re: dealing with programmers.

1. If the programmer is hemming and hawing about adding a feature or something of the sort, it’s probably a huge amount of work, even if it seems like a minor addition to you. Don’t back down if you feel it’s important, but do be sure it’s important.

2. Programmers, in general, are very goal-oriented, with a problem/solution mindset. Don’t set vague objectives. If they see the finish line, they’ll do whatever they can to reach it, but if they can’t, the effort they’ll put out will be half-hearted…if that.

3. Familiarize yourself with what program code looks like. Programs written in C (if they’re well-written) can be easy to follow, even for laymen. This way, your questions will be more specific, and the answers will be easier to comprehend.

4. Insist on well-written comments in the code. It will cut in half (at least!) the time it takes for new programmers to get into working on projects.

5. Prioritize the bugs. There are few things more annoying to a programmer who’s working on a project or feature than finding himself suddenly beset with old bugs that are “emergencies to get fixed - ASAP!” one after the other, and not getting back to his project for two weeks. Probably the best solution is to designate one programmer as the bug-fixer, and, as another programmer completes a major project, switch that job to him (or her).

6. Under no circumstances give clients/customers a direct line to the programmers. On occasion, it might make sense for the help desk people to have the programmer and the customer talk directly, but it should be the exception, not the rule. Not because of the cliche that programmers lack interpersonal skills (not really true), but because frequent interruptions will be problematic.

7. Do not load down a programmer’s job with too much formal documentation to fill out. And when it comes to design tasks (such as designing images that will appear in the program), give them an absolutely clear idea of what you need the image to look like. They’re not typists, and they’re not artists.

8. When all else fails, Diet Coke is the answer. :slight_smile:

That sounds like about it.

Best of luck!

Chaim Mattis Keller

One standard maxim is this:

Managing a group of programmers is like herding cats.

Excellent advise! I’m printing it out and will post it at my new desk! Only one day left -Thank God!!!