Cabinet members resigning after insurrection at the Capitol

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has resigned one day after the acts of terrorism and sedition at the Capitol. She joins Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao in doing so.

Good to see that DeVos is out. But what does this mean for those like myself who want to see the Cabinet invoke the 25th? Do they need a minimum number of votes, or do they still go with the majority of department heads?

My jaded view is that the rats are jumping ship so they will not be involved in 25th Amendment proceedings, thus saving their future political careers.

What Monty says is most likely. That certainly is the case for Mitch McConnell’s wife. Mitch has enough things to worry about right now. Are they cowards or just playing it smart? If Trump wins in 2024 would you want to be one of the people that tried to dump him 2 weeks before the end of this term? A graceful exit probably seems like a good idea to a lot of people right now.

Elizabeth Warren nailed it: “Betsy DeVos has never done her job to help America’s students. It doesn’t surprise me one bit that she’d rather quit than do her job to help invoke the 25th Amendment,” Warren wrote. “Good riddance, Betsy. You were the worst Secretary of Education ever.”

(Insert Batman-smacking-Robin meme)

Surprise, surprise, surprise!