Calculating (compass point) direction from latitude/longitude

Inspired by the “calculating distance from lat/long” thread.

When the weather cools down a bit, I’ll be going up into my attic to put up an antenna to help with FM radio reception. The kind of antenna I’ll be using needs to be oriented a certain way in relation to the transmitter, so I’m wondering if anyone has found a site that will let me put in two sets of coordinates and will give me a N/NNE/NE/… etc. direction that I can use simply with my compass while I’m hunched over in the attic.

Yes, I know I could do this with a good map and a certain amount of orienteering skill, but let’s say for the sake of argument that I have neither of those handy.

Here you go.

You rock, MrSquishy!

Unless you’re really a long way from the transmitter and/or have a really high gain antenna (very long boom and lots of elements), this is a case of pretty close is really good enough.

If you’re within 20 degrees you’ll likely not notice any difference.

I suspected as much, but it’s been a long time since I had a good GQ question to ask. :slight_smile:

One of my grandfathers was a big ham operator, and talked with folks around the world. He had a globe which he had re-mounted with the axis through Cleveland (where he lived), to solve this same problem.