Calling the Weather and Time

[QUOTE=Great Dave]
In the SF Bay Area, it is (or was) POPCORN. or any number that started 767. “At the tone, Pacific Daylight time is 10:42, and 20 seconds. BEEP”
[/quote]
Still is – I dial it regularly, including just this morning.

[sub]Nitpick: It’s “At the tone, Pacific Daylight time will be 10:42 and 20 seconds.”[/sub]

In St. Louis it’s 321-2222

Used it all the time, especially before high speed internet and before we had cable.

[QUOTE=hekk]

In Milwaukee, one can call the time lady(err.. on redial it seems to be a man now) by dialing TIme 4-1414. Also, the local weather forecast is available by calling WEather 6-1212.

Are these remnants of times past still up and running in other cities?
[/QUOTE]
When I grew up in Arlington VA (1950-60)the time was TI 4-2525. I think that corresponds with your first # above.

The weather was, just as for you, WE 6-1212.

[QUOTE=C3]
When I was a teenager, and wanted to stay up all night chatting to boys on the telephone, I would tell a guy to call me at a certain time (say, midnight). Then, I’d call time or weather and wait for the call waiting to beep in. That way, my parents wouldn’t hear the phone ring and I could stay up all night flirting away.
[/QUOTE]

I’m impressed by how crafty you were! I’m a little sad that I’m grown up and married and have my own house and my own phone that I can use at any time I like … otherwise I would try this myself.

[QUOTE=percypercy]
Here’s it’s 526-5261. I had a friend call it JAM-JAM1 once, totally confusing me. It’s long been sponsored by Captain D’s.
-Lil
[/QUOTE]

Ah. I remember calling it Jam Jam1. Only in Memphis could the weather be sponsored by a (really shitty) seafood restaurant.

Twin Cities dopers…is there a popular temperature number here? I have a few numbers but they are all out in Eden Prairie or some shit…and none of them are at all easy to remember.

In the New Haven exchange we have SPRINGS (777.4647) for time.

It’s still working. But I don’t think that they still give the helpful phone tips they used to:

"Calling long distance ? Make a list of what you want to talk about. You’ll say more in less time. The time is … "

"When you call someone, let the phone ring at least 10 times. The time is … "

[QUOTE=muldoonthief]
In Boston, 1-617-637-any 4 numbers gets you time and temperature. I can’t get 63 or 637 to mean anything meaningful though.
[/QUOTE]
MEteorology 7?

[QUOTE=samclem]
When I grew up in Arlington VA (1950-60)the time was TI 4-2525. I think that corresponds with your first # above.

The weather was, just as for you, WE 6-1212.
[/QUOTE]

It still is in the DC Area for both time and weather but you need to use 703, 301 and 202 as appropriate and It is now “Brought to you by Verizon” -[ basically this is almost a repeat of Misnomers post]

[QUOTE=myskepticsight]

In St. Louis it’s 321-2222

Used it all the time, especially before high speed internet and before we had cable.
[/QUOTE]
When I was growing up there in the 60s and 70s, the “official” Time and Temperature number in St. Louis used to be 321-2522, but you could dial 321-Any 4 Numbers and still get it. Now it seems that both 321-2522 and 321-2222 will give you Time and Temperature reports (different ones, though), but no other combination will.

[QUOTE=jimmmy]
use 703, 301 and 202 as appropriate
[/QUOTE]
Don’t forget 410 and 571! :wink: