Can God can create a rock which is too heavy for himself to lift up?

Sure he can create a rock bigger than he can lift. He can also destroy it, so he doesn’t care.

Also, every time someone masturbates, both kill and not kill a kitten in a box.

So do I.

I thought Dwayne Johnson was The Rock.

I thought The Rock was off the coast of Spain. :confused:

It’s an old question, but thought I’d share an anecdote about it since the thread doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I asked a priest once about the whole rock to heavy to lift thingy when I was a kid (yeah, it’s THAT old a question) and he said ‘Of course he can’. Thinking I had a gotcha I said, well, doesn’t this limit Gods power then…he CAN’T make a rock that even he can’t lift after all, so he’s not omnipotent! The response was that, assuming God wanted to play along, the answer is that he creates such an unliftable rock, then his power grows and he could lift it.

Later in life I saw all the obvious flaws with the above, but at the time it seemed like a good answer, and the reason it stuck is that it showed the lengths people will take to make their God or gods ‘logical’, and that asking them silly philosophy questions to try and get them usually doesn’t work, since there is no common ground about what is or isn’t logical, consistent or ‘the right answer’. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopefully the OP will learn this lesson and come up with some more interesting topics to discuss in the future. Hope springs eternal and all that.

-XT

Mu.

Yes, but one roundhouse kick from Chuck Norris and it’ll be in pieces your grandmother with the bad hip would have no problem lifting.

Logically speaking, a rock of sufficient mass becomes a black hole.

Then there is the question of just “what” it is to be lifted against. Gravity? The gravity of what now? And just how does one actually define lifting it?

It is nothing more than a nonsensical proposition put forward by people a lot less clever than they imagine themselves to be.

You don’t have to be clever to find problems with an omnipotent God. It’s absurd on its face. If the omnipotent God is also omni-benevolent it’s outright insane.

He’s The Black Rock. And we know how that turned out for the Losties!

Well, just to be serious for a moment:

With that specific wording, I’d say yes*. There’s nothing logically impossible about lifting something that at one point was too heavy to lift–you just have to change the parameters so that it’s no longer too heavy, without actually lifting the object before doing so.

However, if you are asking if God could do something in such a way that he would be unable to undo it, then I’d have to say no, as omnipotence logically comes with the stipulation that one cannot ever lose the ability to do something. Otherwise, the word carries no meaning.

*Of course, if you don’t believe in God, then you can say the answer to your question is “no” because God doesn’t exist.

God plays dice.

Peter is Little Rock.

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players (i.e., everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won’t tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

Good Omens, Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Of course He can. But He hasn’t, so He’s still omnipotent. There is no rock that He can’t lift, because He never created one.

If God wants to fucking play dice with the universe, he can fucking play dice with the mother fucking universe!

yeah, and the Bastard still owes me $0 from last week’s craps game! D:

The god of Abraham is bested by simple iron chariots, so I’m betting most rocks are too heavy for him if he existed.

Every super hero has to have a weakness. God is no different. His is iron chariots. Is that any weirder than some random mineral, or the color yellow, or whatever?

Well if he was able lift the rock he could give himself an ever worsening divine hernia until such time as he was no longer able to lift it.

He’d know how to do it because he can stop people picking up anything. Look at all the guys he’s made so that they can’t pick up chicks.