Can I transfer files directly from one FTP site to another?

I’m moving my web site to another hosting company, and so now I need to get all of the files from the old server over to the new server.

I’d rather just send it directly between the two servers, rather than download it all to my home computer, then upload it all to the new place.

I haven’t updated the pages in a while, so I don’t have them all in a neat place on my hard drive at home that replicates what’s up on the site…shame on me…so it won’t save me any time to just upload the home versions.

Any suggestions? Is it possible, or must it go through my home computer? (I use a Mac, incidentally.)

IIRC, there is a way in the ftp protocol to do that, but I don’t think I’ve seen many (or any) ftp clients that actually supported that. If the source is a unix machine, can you telnet to the source and ftp the files to the destination from there?

Arjuna34

I used to have an FTP client that did this. Give me some time and I’ll see if I can track it down and tell you the name. It was several years ago so it could be something completely different now.

Well I can’t find the program I was talking about but it appears Flash FXP is the new champion of FXP. It is shareware so you can check it out and if you like it buy it. Should I happen to stumble on the old program I used I can e-mail you and see if you still need an FXP program.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

There are a few programs out there designed to let you quickly suck down a website so that you can mirror it. Using one of these would allow you to synchronize your home system. Then you could upload it to your new server.

try searching for “mirror” on the various free-software sites.

DOH ! Read the OP carefully Gut,he said he uses a MAC.

Sorry.

In an attemp to make up for my stupidity here is a Macintosh program that will do site to site. 15 day trial period should allow you to transfer your website.

[url=“http://fetchsoftworks.com/”]Fetch

Fetch

I will remember to preview.