Can we lighten up?

I got mildly mod noted for responding to a tiny joke @Gatopescado made in a poll about Trump.
I’m not disputing the note. I didn’t realize it was in P&E. That’s on me.

But I come here to be entertained and responded to. I feel like everyone does the same.
Yes, we can learn things. Imparted wisdom is important.

We live in a desperate and dangerous world.
Still, we are humans. And funny is funny.

That little joke made me laugh. I needed a laugh. I’ve had a horrible experience today. Diversion helped to mitigate my pain.

Don’t deny me that, ol’ Dope.
You’re my only hope.

(Hey, that rhymed)

Just sayin’

No, silly little off-topic jokes can derail threads, I was going to let it pass but your response to it meant it wasn’t one and done and thus the moderation.

We keep reminding you to watch for what forum you’re in, we’re not making exceptions to the rules in P&E and GD.

I will continue to moderate those forums in that way.

IMHO and Cafe, no problem with the joke reply and the response.

But that was a well constructed OP and I wasn’t going to let off-topic silliness derail it.

Thank you for that explanation. I know I’m careless about seeing what forum I’m in.
I’ll do better.

My issue is not about that.

I just think everything in this world is so difficult. I want people to be happy. I want light hearted banter and silliness.

It’s not like we’re in an important high level conference on politics. It’s the Dope. Kinda known for jokes and poking fun.

For some posters, it is. And yes, we’re known for jokes and poking fun – but not so much in GD or P&E.

I will join @What_Exit in encouraging you to be mindful of the forum you’re in.

I definitely will. I promise.

I just thought it was such a s small thing and did elicit a joke.
I generally don’t go into the P&E because it’s so depressing. I saw poll and voted.
And read the posts.

If anyone changes from Trump to Biden it’s a reason to feel encouraged. IMO.

I know this is two days later, but: Really, it was just a mod note. I don’t think those are even tracked. It’s just them reminding you of the rules. If you don’t continue the hijack (or other behavior they’re reminding you is in violation of the rules), you’re totally fine.

(and usually, we get two or three cracks in before they even notice, but don’t abuse that)

I wasn’t complaining about a mod note. At all. I deserved it. Totally my fault.

So what was your point?

We need to lighten up. That’s all. Not everything in the world will change if we tell a silly joke or respond to one. Not one will die if you make a typo or miss-post.

We are all flawed humans.

I am something of a jokester by nature since I was a little kid and was class clown in elementary school. I can’t help it. I do it at work too. (I have no illusions of being funny either, it’s just how I am.)

But P&E and GD aren’t the places for it. I have to remind myself of that all the time. I have to fight against my natural inclination all the time. We have many areas on the board to joke around if we want to. I try (and don’t always succeed) to act differently in those places. (Actually, I rarely post in GD at all, it’s P&E where I have to be more careful.)

i agree with you about certain forums. I agree I’ve crossed a line a few times.
I’m obligated to correct that behavior and I will.

The thing I worry about is that the whole country (yes, my actual experience is limited in this) is terribly scary. People are too mad at everything in general life.
Why you gotta scream if you have to wait 15 minutes in a line for your chicken nuggets? Can’t you remember some people are waiting hours in a bread line for morsels for the family? Can’t we relax a bit in traffic? Don’t go to road rage. Think about people walking barefoot to get clean water.

We have it pretty dang good, in the bigger picture.
A small giggle can’t hurt. In RL, or on a message board.

Maybe lighten up and stop whining about it then.

Because I don’t want my ‘’‘world view’‘’ to be based on a logical fallacy,

The fallacy of relative privation rejects an argument by stating the existence of a more important problem. The existence of such a worse issue, the fallacy insists, thereby makes the initial argument irrelevant.

There’s whining and then there’s just being rude.

I make happy noises everyday. I work at finding joy and humor in even really bad situations.

We’re not all unhappy and causing others unhappiness just because we can.

Would the owner of the old Chevy Nova rather have No car? I bet not.

The kid with “A” instead of “A+” is not the same thing. That’s his parents expectations. Bad example.

If he got a “D” and expected a “B” maybe Dad could say “try harder next time, some people failed, must have been a hard exam” and possibly help him study.