Can you like a job if you hate the training?

Can you hate law school but love being a lawyer? Can you hate engineering classes but love being an engineer? Can you hate learning the ins and outs of a job but end up loving the job itself?

Sure. Med school and residency were painful and many, many parts were unpleasant, but I really enjoy the end result of practicing medicine.

But if I had hated med school and residency because I didn’t like dealing with patients or studying their findings and test results, then being a doc would have sucked, too.

Tho one can find many niches in medicine where one can avoid a lot of unpleasant activities. Blood bank pathology, actuarial medicine, epidemiology etc can provide interesting work without much intimate patient contact.

So: It depends! :wink:

Education classes were horrid. The work was simple and non-applicable, the teaching mind bogglingly bad (ever have someone read to you for an hour about how you shouldn’t read to a class, but do stuff to engage them?) and the classmates were so bad that I seriously thought about leaving the field rather than face a lifetime of working with such banal, shallow, humorless, sheltered anti-intellectual lightweights.

I love teaching. It challenges me every day. And it turns out that the worst of hte classmates don’t become teachers–I don’t know what happens to them, but the vast majority of the people I work with are not like that–they are intelligent, passionate, and funny.

Journalism school was mundane, inane, and borderline insane. The assignments were dull and predictable, and there was far too much busy work. (“Here, write an obituary. Now write three more.” Ho-hum.)

The job, however, was constantly changing and often challenging. Far more exciting than the classes, I must say. (“Here, go interview Bob Dylan. Now make some sense of whatever the hell he said.”)

Dang, you stole my comment. Very little of my education degree actually prepared me for teaching. (Imagine the thorough pointlessness of classes on teaching reading when you’re a math ed major.)

However, with the school that I’m in now, I love teaching. (At my old school, I had too many colleagues that truly believed in the way teachers are prepared for teaching. . .eww) Now, I’m with kindred spirits.

I suspect that it’s the other way around with law. (IANAL: electrical engineer/mathematics dude).

I almost went to law school when I’d been working just a few years – got admitted and started to pack up to move there. (I hoped to practice patent law).

One major reason I changed my mind was that I met lots of lawyers who enjoyed law school more than they enjoyed practicing law.

Actual lawyers’ opinions are more valid and current than mine.

Business school is a great example. You go to school and learn all this cool business stuff about running companies. But at best you go work at an investment bank or management consultancy where you’re ans “associate” with a hundred other MBAs working 100 hours a week or at worst your like Ryan the temp from The Office working with a bunch of idiots.

Except that I guess that would be the exact opposite of the OP. :frowning:

My training at the museum probably would have chased most people away. I was put down in the basement and set to cleaning a room-full of filthy, greasy, dusty, rusty farm tools. Luckily I actually like that sort of detail work, but some people get driven nuts by it. I guess it’s a rite of passage which helps them seperate the wheat from the chaff. Those who fall by the wayside miss out on all the fun stuff that comes later.

My brother hated his training when he joined the fire brigade - it was largely run by the old fart martinets who made the whole thing seem very regimented. He resisted the urge to leave because he was assured that after graduation it was very different. He has loved it ever since for 30 odd years now.

Library school is PowerPoint hell. There were days I wanted to just chew my leg off if it would get me out of this boring mind-numbing not-learning-anything pit. (FYI, I liked scavenger hunt assignments because you actually learned something. Can’t say the same about most of my actual classes, let alone assignments. Sorry, but we’re all college grads here and if you need a huge assignment on proper citation format, you shouldn’t have been admitted in the first place.)

I like my actual job. I’ve liked lots of very different actual library jobs. So it depends on why you hate the training, really.