Can you use a weighted blanket with a heated blanket? (Need answer fast)

Mom is about to use her new electric heated blanket. Can she put her weighted blanket on top of it? The instructions don’t seem to forbid it. Thanks!

You’ll be fine.

Don’t use an electric blanket with knives, punches, spearheads or any other cutting or piercing implement. Or near water, I suppose. It’s just wires in there to give you heat by electrical resistance.

A weighted blanket heavy enough to cause an electric blanket trouble would have crushed the user long before then. Mom will be fine.

Just a thought, though, from someone who also sleeps with a weighted blanket (helps with insomnia). The one I have really insulates. If your mother has used an electric blanket in the past without a weighted blanket, you might want to start out with the electric blanket set lower than you usually set it. Especially if it’s mostly for her lower half. In fact, if it’s really her legs and feet that get cold, and not so much her upper body, you might even end up with the electric blanket only on her lower half.

When it’s as cold as it’s been getting at night, I usually have a sheet, duvet, a couple of blankets, and a quilt, and sleep in leggings and socks. With the weighted blanket, I just have sheet, duvet, and weighted blanket, and just switched from one blanket to the duvet this week. And slept last night without socks or leggings.

And we keep the temperature set pretty low (62’F) at night when it’s on “heat.”

Thank you. Mom reports that she slept wonderfully last night.

This may or may not be an issue with Mom, but many older folks have real poor feeling in their lower extremities. Due to lack of blood flow which is also why those parts get cold.

An electric blanket without a weighted blanket atop can be dangerous for folks who may not notice themselves being slowly cooked down there. Adding a weighted blanket increases that risk.

If Mom’s low-risk the increment is probably trivial. But if she’s high risk …