Canadians: can you recommend a good film? (upcoming Canadian film festival in Sydney)

I registered with the film festival at this year’s Canada Day pancake giveaway on 1 July. The festival films are listed under 'Program" at the festival site, Possible Worlds.

Are there any stand out offerings?

The only one I’ve even heard of was Score: a hockey musical. I heard it was cute and clever, but I’ve never seen it.

The only Canadian made movies that I’ve absolutely ADORED in my life have been “Good Cop/ Bon Cop,” and “Hobo with a Shot gun.” I don’t make a concerted effort to see Canadian cinema, despite knowing enough friends in film production here from my time as a composer. But I’m very fussy, what can I say? Most of the best of what Canada has made is already on the National Film Board’s webpage!

Bon Cop/ / Bad Cop is a great, great movie and everybody needs to see it - though I am more perplexed by the absence of this years *Funkytown from a current Canadian film fest.

I am ashamed to say that of all of the movies that are actually in the program, I have only seen Pontypool. I liked it! My wife hated it.

No “The Sweet Hereafter”?

Probably the greatest Canadian film ever made.

Or is it only recent films?

I love Atom Egoyan, and Ima gonna let you finish, but the greatest Canadian film ever made is Don McKellar’s Last Night. (Ironically, it has one of the worst trailers ever.)

I’ve met Atom Egoyan, and I knew Don McKellar at high school. Atom, let’s talk again about making my story into one of your films*; and Don, glad to hear you made it. Yes, I dropped the rubber chicken on you during our high school drama production, but it was in our script, and you took it in good humour.

• Still kicking myself over refusing Atom Egoyan’s request to make one of my stories into a film.

I’ll have to check that out.

It’s a fun little movie, but not exactly what I’d call a must-see. Especially for non-Canadians who’ll miss a large part of the jokes. (Even Canadians will.) If there’s a relatively recent (say, the last decade) Canadian movie that I’d call must-see, it’d be C.R.A.Z.Y. Not that this helps the OP. I haven’t seen any of the movies in show at the Sydney festival.

Likewise, the only one of those movies that I’ve seen is Pontypool (which was nice and creepy).

I should explain myself better. There are many very good movies made in Canada in the last few years. A lot of them are worth seeing. (I’m not much of a cinematography fan, though, so I may not be the best person to make suggestions.) But if there’s a movie I’d suggest everyone should see, because it’s one of the best I’ve ever seen in my life, it’s C.R.A.Z.Y. Which happens to be made in Canada and relatively recent.