Does Canada have a "national epic"?

So as not to hijack the Old West thread, I’ve wondered this before. Is there a Canadian film that’s similar to Gone With the Wind or Titanic or the like- something set specifically in Canada’s past with high quality acting and production values that’s akin to a national epic?
If not, what novel or historical event would you base one on?

And Titanic would be the national epic of which country?

You obviously aren’t very familiar with Canadian movies, to be throwing around expressions like “high quality acting” and “production values”. :smiley:

If there were such a movie, I think it would be an adapatation of a song – Gordon Lightfoot’s Canadian Railroad Trilogy

Canada’s national epic is actually “For Better or For Worse: The Bestest Present”.

Although it has improved lately, Canada’s “legacy,” if you want to call it that, within the movie industry is … well, not Hollywood. It’s barely even Bollywood. Unless you consider shows like The King of Kensington or Anne of Green Gables high quality epic fare, you’re probably not going to find a whole lot to inspire. The closest we come to any kind of film making legend is probably Atom Egoyan, and he wasn’t even born here (though he was raised here from a young age). Even then, it is unlikely that very many people have heard of more than a few of his films.

Canadian Bacon? Strange Brew?

Sorry, nothing serious coming to mind.

Take off, eh? Strange Brew, you hoser

So, the Canadian national epic is The Adjuster? One of my favorite movies, but a little “out there” to be a national epic. :slight_smile:

Goin’ down the road gets my vote.

Atlantis.

The Log Driver’s Waltz

Fubar?

Asses of Fire?

Unfortunately, great Canadian movies are few and far between.
Our top grossing movie of all time is Bon Cop, Bad Cop which is only good if you speak both French and English. This movie surpassed Porky’s in its climb to the top. Porky’s had been number 1 for about 20 years.
Canadian movies aren’t bad if you are interested in slow drama. They don’t make a lot of money so they don’t have a big budget. We are more likely to watch American blockbusters and unlike Australia, we don’t tax theatre tickets to subsidize our movie industry.
One of my favourite Canadian movies is Who has Seen the Wind, an adaptation of a book by W.O. Mitchell but it is hardly a sweeping epic.
There are many, many great Canadian novels though, too many to list here.

The collected game films of the NHL. Or possibly a compilation of commercials for Tim Hortons.

The Black Robe, but that only covers the Jesuits during the 17th C. in upper Canada, leaving flying lesbians entierly out of the picture, so for that you have to have I’ve Heard the Mermaids Singing.

Its a big country, so any one-movie attempt would turn into a stupid schlockfest like “How the West Was Won.”

Or possibly Sudbury Saturday Night, by the esteemed Dr. Tom Connors.

Wow, Frank, you’re already fittin’ in to this country.

If no movies come to mind, please feel free to mention “Great Canadian Novel” entries (Anne of Green Gables already being counted).

I submit that Canada is far too diverse culturally and in terms of its relationship with history to have a true “epic” historical film that would ring the same to many people. I mean, I’ve seen or heard of a few Canadian historical movies, but I’m quite sure that they wouldn’t mean anything to a majority of Canadians. In contrast, while the United States is also quite diverse culturally, I think there is more of a sense of shared memory.