Cancer isn't terminal...Can someone tell the American Cancer Society?!

So there is an add on TV that has been on like…forfreakin’ever. It turns out there is some sort of American Cancer Society Walkathon to raise money. The ad says something to the effect of you can join a team already formed or start your own to support someone who is fighting cancer or in memory of someone who has fought cancer." Your the FUCKING AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY!!! Have you never met a cancer survivor?! Is cancer forever?! I understand that there are long term consequences of having had cancer, but I know survivors and they all consider the war over. Cancer surrendered its hold and whithered and died or was forcably removed and incarcerated. But really…alcoholics may always be alcoholics, but cancer patients get better, some even go race bicycles in foreign countries setting all time records for being awesome (Go Lance!).

Lame rant? Probably so, but if you are an organization that is working for a cause, understand your cause. Get a freakin’ clue! Cancer sucks, but your ignorance makes me hate your cause because you annoy the piss out of me at dinner time.

And preemptively for Labor Day weekend, we aren’t curing MDA either.

This shouldn’t bother me. But it does.

As far as I was aware, nobody is ever cured of cancer, rather they go into remission (admittedly, sometimes for a very long time and then die from a bungy-jumping accident at the age of 114 or something).

But from my experience, nobody ever considers the war over. There are checks and tests done for freakin’ years afterwards to ensure there is no return of the cancerous growths etc. And for many people, there ARE recurrences…but because of the regular tests they are hopefully caught in time to reinstitute treatment and get the patient back into remission again. Rinse and repeat…quite possibly for the rest of that person’s life.

Yes, I think you’ll find that in the vast majority of cases, it is.

Oops…I meant to say that even if the cancer is not physically present, the emotional and psychological consequences remain forever.

I’d disagree. My husband had lymphoma when he was 7-8. This was around 1979. It was as horrific a course of treatment as I think you could put a 7 year old through–bone marrow samples, multiple abdominal surguries, colostomy, radiation and heavy chemo: he was considered terminal from the get-go, and near as I can tell they just threw everything they had at him.

That was 25 years ago, and obviously, he’s fine. He considers this to be something that happened in the past, not pleasant, but very definitely past. Did it effect him? Sure. But it is far from the central, defining fact of his life.

Xbuckeye, you do know that a lot of people do not in fact survive cancer? It may not be 100 % terminal but a lot of people do die from it. We have not “Beaten” cancer.

Some cancers are almost certainly fatal. I’d tell you to ask my uncle, but he died of pancreatic cancer in April. It is not only 95% fatal, but it’s the most painful way to go.

Same with many brain cancers.

Same with inflammatory breast cancer.

Same with late detection colon cancer. Ask my mom. Oops. She’s dead too. From the cancer.

This was my point. I know two categories of people who have had cancer, people who have had cancer and got rid of it who consider themselves survivors and people who had cancer and died. I currently don’t know anyone with active cancer. Is cancer a life-changing event? Sure it is! The very same American Cancer Society has a webpage called The Cancer Survivors Network. Their ad doesn’t accurately portray their mission and propagates misunderstanding of a group of diseases that already is plagued with misunderstanding. This is what I am pitting.

The American Cancer Society is well aware that there are those who survive cancer…

Relay for Life

xbuck, let me get this straight, you think that people get cancer and they die or it goes into remission? You do not think that anybody spends years in treatment involving chemo therapy, radiation therapy, radical surgery and other miserable life changing treatments? Are you really this big of a fucking moron? Or am I not understanding you correctly?

Admittedly, this could use work. But then, so could your thread title.

For your title, why not: Some people DO survive, you know!

Or: Cancer isn’t ALWAYS terminal!

If your imprecise wording isn’t pitworthy (and I don’t think it is), then what makes the American Cancer Society’s poorly worded PSA (that’s “public service announcement,” not “prostate specific antigen,” people!) such a big problem?

Sure, they really SHOULD change it to something like “You can join a team already formed or start your own to support someone who is fighting cancer or to HONOR someone who has fought cancer,” or something along those lines, and a word to their PR people might not be a bad idea at all. But why the rant?

I don’t think I see what the offense is. The commercial asks you to 1) support someone who is currently fighting cancer or, 2) remember someone who fought it previously (and, presumably, lost). Do you deny that these two categories of people exist? If so, you’re wrong. If not, what’s the problem?

–Cliffy

I think he is saying they should also be trying to recuit the people who have survived cancer, i.e., come participate becuase yu were diagnosed with breast cancer 15 years ago and have been in remission for 12.

I don’t think this is pit-worthy, but I do think there is a point here: the ACS mission has been successful. Research is working. Not 100%, not as quickly as we would like, but all the walkathons of the past have helped, and it’s reasonable to think that it would be good PR to celebrate that.

However, still clearly not pitworthy.

And a lot of them die, too, you fucking idiot.

People who can’t tell the difference between you’re and your make me hate them because they annoy the piss out of me when I’m reading.

They can ask my mom too. By the time it was discovered, it was too late. Oops again.

So by not explicitly proclaiming that cancer survivors are on the increase at every conceivable opportunity, and releasing an ad to promote the idea that people with cancer need support, the American Cancer Society deserves pitting?
Dumbass rant.

Stupid rant.

However, I do take issue with the phrase “fighting (or battling) cancer”, because to some family members it implies that you believe that their terminally ill or deceased loved one would have recovered if they had only “fought harder” or “not given up”, which is incredibly insulting, when you think about it.

Someone “has a diagnosis of cancer”, “is living with cancer”, “has cancer”, “is being treated for cancer”. There are lots of alternatives that don’t make it sound as if a failure to survive is the person’s own fault.

Ok, a few clarifications:
First, I know people die of cancer. I know cancer treatments are usually not a walk in the park.
Second, I already told you that I personally know people who have died from cancer and people who have survived cancer. I am not denying its existance.
Third, so my thread title is imprecise…whatever. I am not a professional writer. Same with the you’re/your…whatever. Next time I write a commercial or PSA, I’ll make sure to get it right.
Fourth, I never said the ACS was worthless and didn’t deserve support. I think they are probably very helpful at providing resources and support for people with cancer and their families and medical community in general.

My point, as Manda JO got to (this answers your question, Cliffy) is that they are omitting a group of people and implying that cancer is terminal. I expect it from the layman (or woman) especially when they don’t personally know survivors. I expect a higher level of professionality from a group with this mission statement (bolding mine)

My final point (at least in this post) is that this is a generic ad with ‘soon’ and ‘in your area’ in the audio with a flash screen at the end with the details of the local walk. This means that it is probably coming soon to a TV near you. I have been seeing it about 5 times a day for weeks. It pisses me off that often, I just happened to be here when I saw it tonight, hence the rant. I never saw anything in the rules that it had to be the best rant ever to put it in the Pit, so I did.

What utter crap. My mother fought her cancer, and fought it hard, right out of the gate. She wasn’t passively “being treated for cancer.” You could ask her if cancer is terminal, but she, too, is resting (we hope) in peace in spite of her fight. The fact that she lost the fight is absolutely no reflection whatsoever on how hard she fought it. Dumbass rant and dumbass reply.

And did you not see my qualifier that ‘the vast majority’ of cases (etc). :wink:

Nor did I say that it would necessarily remain the ‘central, defining fact of [insert cancer survivor’s name] life’. But in my experience, people who have had cancer tend to live with a degree of tension and worry that the disease will come back, especially in the early years of remission. That does not mean that they will not go on living life to the full, just that it remains in their consciousness in a more pronounced way than someone who has never been diagnosed with cancer.

Certainly, there are different forms of cancers with different prognoses and different treatments, so the very word cancer is really a bit of a misnomer. My basal and squamous cell carcinomas, whilst technically cancers, do not affect my life in the least…except for my twice-yearly visit to the doc to check them out and remove them if they are looking a bit dodgy. The buggers keep popping up everywhere. :smiley:

However, there is a vast difference between the complacency I feel, and that which affects someone who has had more serious cancers treated/removed. A new lump (no matter how small or innocuous) in the breast/testicle/abdomen/groin or wherever of a cancer survivor brings a huge amount of fear that the merry-go-round is about to begin again. A headache in someone who has had a brain tumour, an inexplicably sore knee in someone who has experienced a bone cancer, a fever in someone with one of the more common leukaemias? No amount of time eases that anxiety, even if it turns out to be unfounded.

The job of the various national cancer societies is to help educate people according to the reality of their particular disease. Cancer might not be a definite death sentence any more, but it is still one of the major killers of people in the developed western world. Raising funds (by groups like the American Cancer Society) to help with preventative and curative research can only be a good thing.

It was a stupid (and ignorant) rant xbuckeye.