Ok, I’ve got problems with my internet connection, and I’ve not been able to solve them myself, so I thought I’d see if any of the teeming millions could help me.
Basically, I can’t get on the internet. I’m posting this on an installation of Windows on a different harddrive, but with the original harddrive attached, where the internet is working properly.
On the installation with the problem, I can get through the checking username and password, and logon stage. I can also ping IP addresses, but not their associated name (e.g. I can ping 22.214.171.124, but not www.bbc.co.uk). If I try visiting a website through a browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer), it gives an error message, which unfortunately I haven’t made a note of, but I can check it when I bootup on that installation next. This applies if I use the IP address or name. I also cannot use other programs that access the internet.
The internet was working well before. I have made some changes recently. I’ve put in a new hard drive (Or rather re-installed an old one), but the internet was working when I put that in, and this hard drive is the one with the installation with the internet connection working. The only other change I can think of is the installation of a TV card, and installation of associated software. There was a complex series of installation, uninstallation, reinstallation of this software, which might have been associated with the problem, but I’m can’t be certain.
My dad thinks it might be a DNS problem, but we don’t know how to solve the problem, whatever it is.
As for the system involved, it has Windows ME, with two hard drives (one 80GB, the other 40GB). The internet connection is ADSL, connecting through a PCI ADSL modem. Both installations are running with the same hardware, the one with working internet is just booting from the 40 GB harddrive, the other one from the 80GB harddrive.