Can't Stop Watching ".....Ned Devine"!

I love this little flick! I love the characters (“Pig” Finn is my favorite), and I love the plot!

I have also fallen in love with Fionnula Flanagan, but we’ll just keep that our little secret, all right? :wink:

Is it possible there might be a sequel in the works?

I am thinking of how everything turned out once the funds got distributed.

Thanks

Quasi

Since the lead actor in the film, whose name escapes me now, has passed away, I would put the chances for a sequel at pretty much zero.

It then seemed like perhaps your best bet would be to a sequel in book form. But there’s just the original screenplay. But it sounds as if it has extra scenes not included in the movie, no surprise there.

It was an extremely cute movie. Naked old men on motorcycles, HA!

WND is essentially a remake of the far superior 1949 Ealing comedy Whisky Galore! (aka Tight Little Island. Whereas that movie was a wry character comedy that doubled as a satire on Scottish culture and the war effort, Waking is, IMHO, a dud.

We are expected to cheer on the criminal efforts of a group of villagers who are largely unsympathetic, the inept romance brings whatever momentum the movie has to a screeching halt, and the final business with the telephone booth I found to be particularly mean-spirited and ugly.

Now I love Ian Bannen, but he and David Kelly mug and preen incessantly for the camera. The humor is broad, obvious, and tries hard to float on this oppressive “charm” that oozes everywhere. I hated the film. Do yourself a favor and check out the wittier, smarter original–or any Ealing comedy from that time for that matter. They certainly all put this film to shame.

On the part of whom, the director or fate? Remember, the villagers did not plan for her to die, and all would have been lost had she been able to complete that call.

As far as the characters being unsympathetic, I beg to differ. The “fake-eulogy” I found to be very touching, but that’s probably because I’m a sentimental old sap! :smiley:

I will check out the films you mentioned. Thanks for your reply!

Quasi

Well, obviously the director since fate didn’t kill her. I found it rather disgusting that we were expected to not only be glad that she dies, but laugh at it. Naturally, the writer/director loads the dice by making her mean and petty, but I found it in extremely poor taste, given that she did nothing to deserve her death nor was her death a necessity for the story to end the way it did. This means that they created a situation where the death of a character is the source of a cheap laugh. I like black humor as much as the next guy, but to revel in a character’s rather horrible death so a group of people can put their hands on a fortune they have stolen is, IMHO, detestable.