Carpe hoc! = Wrong

I remember one of you folks having a .sig that says Carpe Hoc, then saying one day that it is Latin for Sieze This!

However, Sieze This! is actually
_
occupo hic

Is would also work in replacing hic.
=) Doing my part to fight ignorance.

"No job’s too small, we bomb them all."
-Ace Wrecking Company

Hmmm…My spaces didn’t work, the macron should appear above the second O in occupo.

-Ace Wrecking Company

Hmmm…I always read that carpe diem meant “seize the day…”

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge

It depends on the context, Mr.R.

Even I know that.

Occupo hic?? Don`t think so. First, “occupo” is the first person, present tense, of the verb occupare, which means occupy (as in occupy the premises); IIRC, it could be used as well in a professional context (hold a job). Second, hic does mean “this” but as applied to masculine nouns. Haec corresponds to the feminine gender, whereas hoc is used for the neutral form. Ergo :), “Carpe hoc” would be the correct way of putting it, should Latin still be a prevalent form of communication in 1999.

Hmmm…I assumed it was a sexual innuendo that I didn’t understand. I picked the masculine form rather than post the entire chart of this’s from my Latin textbook. And as for occupo, I picked it because I didn’t know whether he meant plural, singular, first, second, or third person. Nominative is nice and simple in such cases. Even so, my whole post was just to help the guy out. I’m just glad to see SOME people besides my tiny Latin class are/have learning the language.

-Ace Wrecking Company

“What’s this? People called Romanes they go the house?”

Mister_Rogers: Some thirty years ago, I studied Latin from the 8th to the 13th grade. So it’s a bit rusty. BTW, I think we can safely assume that there is a sexual innuendo but, not knowing exactly what it was our poster wanted us to seize (although I have a good idea), I chose the party of fuzziness; hence, the neutral form. As for nominative, unless I’m mistaken, it applies to nouns and more specifically to subjects in a sentence.

As to what Mojo said, I haven’t got a clue :slight_smile:

Now write that 100 times. If you don’t, I’ll cut your balls off.

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

Carpe carpium = Seize the gefilte fish

Indeed, occupo hic translates to I seize he.

Carpe hoc is an appropriate response to the now-popular expression carpe diem, when accompanied by the clutching of the genitals.

Other classical exchanges you’ll probably want to know:

Saying: Odi et amo (I hate and I love)
Response: Sic? Idem tibi! (Yeah? Same to you!)

Saying: Qui bono? (Who benefits?)
Response: Mater tua! (Your momma.) {this may also be accompanied with genital clutching}

Saying: Ipse dixit! (He himself said it!)
Response: Ipsi meum clunem basare licet! (He himself can kiss my ass!)

It’s Lioness, actually.

Hi Mr. Rogers, just wanted to say I haven’t forgotten you ;).
Love,
Lioness